No announcement yet.

Time for a Coaching Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A team that gives up only 2 goals will lose 100% of the time if they don't score 2 goals.

I've heard all too often about how this team was built from the back...defense would be the basis. Sure they are talented, and yes...sometimes good. But two defenseman per shift can't cover five in the zone. I've watched and watched, and perhaps I see the game differently from being between the pipes so long in my life, but go back and watch the goals we gave up all year. Go look and see where the position of the two defenseman or forwards were. Too many times, we left players unattended in front or were scrambling back to try and keep up with them on a 3 on 2 break. That isn't a flaw of the defenseman, it is a flaw of the forward's positioning and where you want your players to be in position. Who is covering who? We have an imbalance of sticks (which I mentioned earlier this year) which has a serious impact in developing excellent break-out plays.

Much of those defensive woes start in the O zone. When you finally have the puck in there - with all five players in that zone, how many times were the two wings and center behind the freakin goal line? Who is in the slot? When the puck is controlled by one of those forwards, who is the puck going to be passed to? Sadly, more often than not, though, the errant pass would be picked off and the opposition had a 3 on 2 forming with those forwards either heading to the bench or dragging behind the play trying in vain to catch up. In summary, we just allowed our opposition too many quality escapes from their defensive zone than we had...and quality escapes create quality scoring chances.

How many times did you hear Bob on the radio say "great save" for an opposing goalie? Many of the shots we put on net could have been stopped if their goalie was sitting in a lawn chair. To shoot from 25 degrees or less from the goal line is a waste of a shot....there is virtually no space to put that puck. We needed, but didn't get enough of, the shots from the slot or passes across to open players that have clear avenues to the net. Shots are shots and not necessarily quality scoring chances. That is the key stat which is missing on USCO or CHN stats, and from all the games I saw and attended, is the one stat which we lost in.

As for the comparison of George Roll and Casey, it was just that. George's first 4 vs. Casey's first 4. The data for George, not in that comparison, also shows that his last year was a much improved year vs. his previous two - so what Casey got was a team "coming back". With Casey's teams, has there been improvement year on year? That is all I was trying to show. Domination is a much better method of hockey than dump and run.....and we don't seem to maintain wings as wings and centers as centers to DEVELOP a clear pattern for domination style offensive hockey. Hockey philosophy 101 and Casey's grade is questionable passing. That is all.
    Last edited by Remember Walker; 03-10-2015, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I rest my case.

I think if I got cut, I'd bleed green and gold...but enough is enough.
      I will no longer support Clarkson hockey until Mr. Jones is replaced.
      I will no longer support Clarkson University with financial donations until we have a decent coach.
      I'm done....I can't take this crap anymore.

Life is TOO SHORT to waste watching such "hockey" and making a 1 - 6 team look like the Olympic team.

World's greatest underachievers....

Goodbye.

Comment

Walker,

I think you're overreacting a bit after a bad loss. I agree that it's time for a coaching change but we have a good group of young men that have enough talent to be a competitive team. They may not win a national championship but they have the talent to compete against top teams. I don't see these guys not giving an effort or not trying, I just don't think they have good leadership. I'll support the young men on the ice but I have zero confidence in this coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by MondayMorningQB View Post
          It is time for one of the assistants to move on, need to bring someone in with a more offensive mind. Phil and Andy both played defense in college and Casey played Center in college but seems to have no idea on how to run an offense.
          Hmmm ... did you play at the D-1 level or above? Just curious. Because if you haven't, I am just wondering how you would know? Easy to say we are not scoring. But a lot harder to diagnose why.

Comment

Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
            I rest my case.

I will no longer support Clarkson University with financial donations until we have a decent coach.

Life is TOO SHORT to waste watching such "hockey" and making a 1 - 6 team look like the Olympic team.

Goodbye.

Walker can't be more right. This isn't one game. This season over season. Make Roy head coach for the rest of the season. Try to salvage something out if this season because anyone not wearing green and gold glasses knows how this all ends.

No more former CCT assistants for coaches. Get the search started now.

Comment

I rest my case.

Goodbye.
              Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!
              2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

I rest my case.

Goodbye.
                I hope those "financial donations" refer to donations to the athletic department, because if they refer to all donations, then I would like to remind people that Clarkson University is first and foremost an academic institution. Punishing the students and faculty for the hockey team's poor performance would be quite frankly, in my opinion, childish.

On the other hand, I do believe Casey should be preparing his résumé. While firing him mid-season may or may not be the best way forward, I hope to hear that he is gone within days of the season ending at the latest (barring a miracle).

Comment

Regression

My biggest concern with this coaching group is that players do not improve year to year In fact they regress. Look at the scoring individual stats and see that the sophmore season is the best career season.. That is not the way it is suupposed to be.

Comment

Take a pretty highly regarded recruit (and NHL draft pick) like Troy Josephs. Lack of improvement, at least on the score sheet, has dropped him dramatically on the Penguins depth chart of promising forwards in the past couple years and potentially cost him millions in future earnings. That's serious stuff.

Comment

If you fire the coach, you need to find a replacement.

Who?
                      CCT '77 & '78

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Who?
                        M^2. But I am dubious of coaching changes.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                          M^2. But I am dubious of coaching changes.
                          Me too. It's the last resort.

The new reality is that it's not the 90's anymore, folks. We are not in the national (much less the ECAC) title mix. Nor, short of a miracle, can we expect that happening anytime soon. Heck - we're having trouble winning home playoff series!

For us to return to title expectations, something has to change. I'm not an expert. I have my thoughts, and you've seen them in other posts, but giving voice to them now would be ranting and venting. I need to take some deep breaths.
                          CCT '77 & '78

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Who?
                            This would never happen, but if it did it might work: hire Matt Desrosiers over from the women's team and promote Duggan to women's head coach. Matt has proved he can win as a player for the men and as a coach for the women, and I think the women's team would be in fine hands under Duggan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
                              This would never happen, but if it did it might work: hire Matt Desrosiers over from the women's team and promote Duggan to women's head coach. Matt has proved he can win as a player for the men and as a coach for the women, and I think the women's team would be in fine hands under Duggan.
                              As you stated, it's never going to happen. 1) I don't think Matt has any interest in the mens program, he's got a great thing going with the women. 2) Meghan is not going to give up her spot on the national team until at least after the next olympics. 3) Britni Smith actually has more coaching experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
                                This would never happen: hire Matt Desrosiers over from the women's team.
                                Fixed your quote. I like having Matt right where he is. He does a great job with the women.
                                Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                                If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Working...
                                X