Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutothefrozen4
    replied
    Campus lifestyle is a matter of opinion, speaking of opinions I'm going to have to swing my vote towards Casey won't right the ship after tonight, what an embarrassing night and an embarrassing stretch of league games, 0 depth on this team and Cornell really exploited us tonight with their neutral zone play, the only way we got in was if it was a transition chance with numbers, ringed it around the boards (lost majority of the 50/50 battles there), or tried to one man skate it. WHERE is the crossing/changing levels in the neutral zone, every time our D breakout the puck they either look to skate it and find the line or they do one D to D pass and then they look for the forwards who are all gliding. This stuff wouldn't bother me nearly enough if it wasn't so consistent, when we get behind in games and everyone starts to put all 5 skaters behind the puck just so they force you into an easy T/O we really can't ever dig back. Our first goal was a great neutral zone chip up the boards by Powers to Fossen and then Vigneault filled the lane correctly and beat his guy to the front, yet we won't ever be consistent in that part of the game, I feel as if 5 years is a good indication not much is going to change up front in terms of the system and how he feels gives us the best shot to win hockey games.

Leave a comment:

• daredevilcu
    replied
    6 goals in 7 league games.

At this rate, we will score a total of 19 goals in league play this year.

Leave a comment:

• RSTuthill
    replied
    Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    I don't agree at all that the campus is below average. I've been to every ECAC campus except Brown and I think the campus is equal or above all of them except SLU. Of the out of conference campuses I've been to and all of the places I've umpired, only West Point has a hands down nicer campus.
    All of the Ivies have much nicer campuses, hands down. For the non-Ivies, SLU, Union, Colgate, and Quinnipiac are nicer by far. That leave RPI and Clarkson at the bottom. It is no coincidence that the two engineering schools think that hiring an architect is a superfluous expense.

Potsdam is isolated. The only thing the North Country schools have going for them in recruiting is that parents of players often live close enough that they can come to games in Potsdam.

Leave a comment:

• Drew
    replied
    Originally posted by vicb View Post
    That is my opinion also.
    That is mine as well.

Leave a comment:

• FireKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by vicb View Post
    That is my opinion also.
    Not that I'm disagreeing Vic, because you're one of the guys that knows a whole lot more about college hockey than I do, but what have you seen in Casey that leads you to believe that he deserves a couple more years of evaluation? I understand that a college coach takes time to build "his team" but in the time that he's been here, he has done absolutely nothing to develop the players that he has. In fact, most have regressed.

Leave a comment:

• vicb
    replied
    Originally posted by goldenknight89 View Post
    I'm all for giving Casey another couple years, ........
    That is my opinion also.

Leave a comment:

• goldenknight89
    replied
    I'm all for giving Casey another couple years, but how about:
    JF Houle or Steve Palmer

Leave a comment:

• FireKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by Josey Wales View Post
    Pay is below average: Anyone with any guess what the CCT men's head coach pay is? A quick search for public universities in Hockey East (UVM and Maine) showed $231,000 and $205,000 as annual salary for the head hockey coach within the past 2 years.

Campus is below average - I don't think the campus itself matters to many candidates. The town and area? Sure, I can buy that. It is a hard sell for someone with a wife and kids.

Facility is average: newer than every ECAC rink besides Quinnipiac. Above average at least.

Admission is tough: Acceptance rate is 62%. Doesn't get the number of applicants it would if it were in a larger city so the school is forced to be less choosy. Still, almost 2 in 3 that apply get in. If your grades are at all decent and you can put 20 goals in the net, you will get in.

Transportation - once you get there, who would want to leave?
    I haven't a clue about the pay.

I don't agree at all that the campus is below average. I've been to every ECAC campus except Brown and I think the campus is equal or above all of them except SLU. Of the out of conference campuses I've been to and all of the places I've umpired, only West Point has a hands down nicer campus.

The town ... may be a tough sell for a wife due to lack of employment opportunities but I think a lot of folks interested in being high level hockey coaches will actually appreciate the small town environment to raise a family.

I have no clue who might be available but I imagine there've got to be some up and coming young coaches out there.

Leave a comment:

• Josey Wales
    replied
    Originally posted by ndlax View Post
    So as the band wagon on the message board gets larger. I have one simple question. Who would you hire to replace the current coaching staff? Keep in mind it is easy to say get a new coach, but what is your alternative. My guess Pay is below average, Campus is below average, Facility is average, admission is tough and transportation into Potsdam is Way Below average.
    Pay is below average: Anyone with any guess what the CCT men's head coach pay is? A quick search for public universities in Hockey East (UVM and Maine) showed $231,000 and $205,000 as annual salary for the head hockey coach within the past 2 years.

Campus is below average - I don't think the campus itself matters to many candidates. The town and area? Sure, I can buy that. It is a hard sell for someone with a wife and kids.

Facility is average: newer than every ECAC rink besides Quinnipiac. Above average at least.

Admission is tough: Acceptance rate is 62%. Doesn't get the number of applicants it would if it were in a larger city so the school is forced to be less choosy. Still, almost 2 in 3 that apply get in. If your grades are at all decent and you can put 20 goals in the net, you will get in.

Transportation - once you get there, who would want to leave?

Leave a comment:

• cutothefrozen4
    replied
    Ron Rolston back when the process began was neck and neck, not saying he would be better but who knows, nobody here is asking for National Championship contending teams, ECAC contenders that could make a run and that can recruit competent goaltending? Well that'd be nice to see once every recruiting cycle, also believe Derek Lalonde would be a GREAT option from Brasher Falls.

Leave a comment:

• ndlax
    replied
    next coach

So as the band wagon on the message board gets larger. I have one simple question. Who would you hire to replace the current coaching staff? Keep in mind it is easy to say get a new coach, but what is your alternative. My guess Pay is below average, Campus is below average, Facility is average, admission is tough and transportation into Potsdam is Way Below average.

Leave a comment:

• Josey Wales
    replied
    Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
    Thing is, do we think that 5 years is enough of an evaluation. I think not. Seven or eight years would be better. Frank Beamer started off in rocky fashion and see what he built.
    Here is what a 9 year evaluation will get you. .430 winning percentage, no ECAC Final Fours. Too bad Casey Jones won't at least do what RPI did in year 5 and play a NCAA game. I see no difference between the two coaches or programs. Not sure why RPI hasn't cut bait with Appert. It obviously isn't that important to RPI who coaches their team or results. I feel we are the same way.

Seth Appert Coaching Record

2015-16 Rensselaer 6 4 2 .583
    2014-15 Rensselaer 12 26 3 .329
    2013-14 Rensselaer 15 16 6 .486
    2012-13 Rensselaer 18 14 5 .554
    2011-12 Rensselaer 12 24 3 .346
    2010-11 Rensselaer 20 13 5 .592
    2009-10 Rensselaer 18 17 4 .513
    2008-09 Rensselaer 10 27 2 .282
    2007-08 Rensselaer 11 23 4 .342
    2006-07 Rensselaer 10 18 8 .389
    Career Totals: 132 182 42 .430

Leave a comment:

• RSTuthill
    replied
    Thing is, do we think that 5 years is enough of an evaluation. I think not. Seven or eight years would be better. Frank Beamer started off in rocky fashion and see what he built.

Leave a comment:

• dave techer
    replied
    Will be interesting to see if Steve/Tony right the men's hockey ship before they retire, or do they leave a fumbling, below average program to the next AD/president to deal with. One thing you got to say is that Casey has had a squeaky clean program so far, no off- or on-ice incidents, no courtroom appearances in support of a player, nothing, and that's a very good thing.

Leave a comment:

• vicb
    replied
    Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
    This would never happen: hire Matt Desrosiers over from the women's team.
    Fixed your quote. I like having Matt right where he is. He does a great job with the women.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X