No announcement yet.

Time for a Coaching Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can all stop talking about this topic.

Whether or not you think Casey should be given a couple more years or not (and I think he should) it is just not gonna happen. Last place in the ECAC with a conference record of 0-5-2 and over 4.5 seasons a record of 65-80-24 including one season when Clarkson got owned by the AHA, his contract will not be renewed. It is just that simple. Let's move on.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
      We can all stop talking about this topic.

Whether or not you think Casey should be given a couple more years or not (and I think he should) it is just not gonna happen. Last place in the ECAC with a conference record of 0-5-2 and over 4.5 seasons a record of 65-80-24 including one season when Clarkson got owned by the AHA, his contract will not be renewed. It is just that simple. Let's move on.
      Barring a miracle where we come back and rattle off 10 in a row, or put together a Placid run in the playoffs (if Casey survives the break) I think you're right.

Comment

At the break, Casey currently has a winning record over 4 ECAC teams:
        Brown 5-3-2
        Princeton 8-4-0
        SLU 7-4-2
        Yale 4-3-1

He's at .500 with one team:
        RPI 6-6-3

Losing record with the other 6 teams:
        Colgate 1-5-3
        Cornell 3-8-2
        Dartmouth 4-6-0
        Harvard 3-5-0
        Qpack 1-5-3
        Union 1-7-0

That's a league record of 43-56-16.

Comment

Well Clarkson will have a coaching change and this one hurts.

Johan Dulfer, 10 year coach of the women's volleyball team, has left the program to mentor the Ithaca women's volleyball team. Steve Y. has huge shoes to fill. Hope he can find a good (great) one.
          CCT '77 & '78

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Johan Dulfer, 10 year coach of the women's volleyball team, has left the program to mentor the Ithaca women's volleyball team. Steve Y. has huge shoes to fill. Hope he can find a good (great) one.
            I wish him well, he is a gentleman and was an ambassador for the University. The man singlehandedly built the program, going to be very, very tough to fill his shoes. Dulfer has a tremendous recruiting network across the country, going to be hard (impossible) to replace.

Side note: Don't like to nitpick, but the number of typos that I find on the website is inexcusable and pathetic, (the Volleyball press release is brutal) . Another example, if you look at the entire sophomore class of the Men's hockey team roster their "Bio" has been blank the entire year. I can go on and on......in this day and age...........defy spellcheck.

Following 10 successful seasons at the helm of the Clarkson University Volleyball team, Johan Dulfer will be moving on to become the head coach at Ithaca College.

The Clarkson Athletic Department will now conduct a national search for a replacement for Dulfer. The Golden Knights have reached the NCAA Tournament seven consecutive seasons and have advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals each of the last four seasons, posting better than 30 wins in each year for a combined record of 134-27. Clarkson has posted a winning record in 14 of the last 15 seasons and has won 20 or more matches in 12 of the last 13 campaigns, missing that mark only in Dulfer's first season as head coach.

"The last decade proved to be an unparralleled stretch under Johan and his commitment to his progam is second to none," Clarkson Athletic Director Steve Yianoukos remarked. "He built a program has put Clarkson Volleyball on the map. The foundation he built was outstanding and we expect his successor to pick up right where he left off. The current group of volleyball student-athletes possesses a winning attitude and the incoming recruiting class should step right in and help Clarkson continue its winning ways."

Clarkson returns nine players from its 2015 NCAA Quarterfinals team, including two juniors, one sophomore and six freshmen, all of which spent plenty of time on the court last season. Sophomore middle hitter Rachel Aird was named an AVCA All-Region performer, while juniors Sierra Rhoades and Katrina Lane have helped the team win 103 matches in the last three seasons with an .837 winning percentage.

"I would like to expecially thank Clarkson President Tony Collins, Director of Athletics Steve Yianoukos, and Associate Athletic Dierector Laurel Kane for the incredible 10 years we have had together," Dulfer said in a prepared statement. "Saying goodbye is incredibly hard. Clarkson is a fantastic school and we have succeeded in creating a volleyball program that ismuch like the University itself; providing top notch opportunities for incredibly dedicated student-athletes. I am incredibly grateful for all the wonderful teams that I coached and the dedicated alumni that gave so much for our common goals. It is time for me and my family to embark on a new advanture, but I know the program is in great hands and in great shape for the future. Great things are on the horizon for Clarkson volleyball and I am proud to be a Golden Knight for life."
            Last edited by Drew; 02-24-2016, 12:21 AM.
            2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

This really is a loss to the University. I really enjoyed following his teams through their championship seasons. He managed to find women who were stars both on and off the court. I figured he would leave eventually but I didn't expect it to be someplace so close. I figured he'd go to a D-I team or at least a D-III volleyball hotbed, which clearly NY is not.

Comment

Originally posted by daredevilcu View Post
                Barring a miracle where we come back and rattle off 10 in a row, or put together a Placid run in the playoffs (if Casey survives the break) I think you're right.
                Well, here we are.
                Let's Go Tech!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck View Post
                  Well, here we are.
                  Hey, I'm thrilled that we're here. So we got the 10 ECAC wins for the semester (check) now time for the Placid run!

Comment

I have it from a reliable source that Casey will get a year or two more on his contract and it would have happened regardless of the late season results. Jack Welsh's first ten years were not too spectacular. Walt Alston had some down years. In hockey, five years is not long enough to take the measure of a coach. I support this.

Comment

I have it from a reliable source that Casey will get a year or two more on his contract and it would have happened regardless of the late season results. Jack Welsh's first ten years were not too spectacular. Walt Alston had some down years. In hockey, five years is not long enough to take the measure of a coach. I support this.
                      I would agree with that decision Dick. I don't know what happened between 2015 and 2016, bit it's sure a different team now. I had pretty much given up on them before the new year, and they're now playing like the Golden Knights of old.

Comment

UMass canned their coach after 4. But that's a program that treats hockey as the ugly stepchild. Until UMass realizes that they can never be an FBS powerhouse, hockey is going to get the shaft.
                        CCT '77 & '78

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          I would agree with that decision Dick. I don't know what happened between 2015 and 2016, bit it's sure a different team now. I had pretty much given up on them before the new year, and they're now playing like the Golden Knights of old.
                          In what year did the "Golden Knights of Old" play - at home - the bottom team of the ECAC playoff ladder, and defeat them twice in OT? The team is playing better but definitely not like the older teams with names on jerseys like Clark, White, Conroy & Co., Armstrong, Patterson...I could go on.

Winning - yes, but two very telling stats that are not recorded are bell-weathers to quality play-off wins.... time of possession of the puck (in control) and number of quality passes made successfully. In both of these, the team is lacking, and a dump & change style will never allow these to be at a point where you can dominate a team to the point that they break and you blow them out. There is one primary reason the team won 9 of their last 12 and that is due to the much improved play of Greg Lewis.

I've seen many CU teams dominate opponents of my higher caliber than Princeton....teams like BU / BC (when they were travel partners in the ECAC), and virtually destroy half their ECAC schedule and defeat nearly the entire other half. This team is improved, but do not compare this to those teams of old.

Comment

This team is nothing like the Clarkson of old but after the strong finish and winning the playoff series that they were supposed to win (albeit in ugly fashion), I don't see them making a coaching change this offseason, especially since we know Casey has time left on the contract. I still don't like his style of play and I don't think it's a productive style unless you can get some top level talent like Fat Mike does in Ithaca. The one thing I can say for the coaching staff and the team leadership is that they kept the team together. It would have been really easy when down in the dumps at semester break and losing 3 players to boot, this team could have folded. Even when they didn't play their best, like Friday, they played with heart.

Casey has some players that should be able to contribute offensively immediately next year but he's going to be losing out big on the blue line and in net. I've got to hope that Kielly gets the chance to be the #1 in his first year or that someone lights a fire under Perry's rear end.

Comment

Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
                              In what year did the "Golden Knights of Old" play - at home - the bottom team of the ECAC playoff ladder, and defeat them twice in OT? The team is playing better but definitely not like the older teams with names on jerseys like Clark, White, Conroy & Co., Armstrong, Patterson...I could go on.

Winning - yes, but two very telling stats that are not recorded are bell-weathers to quality play-off wins.... time of possession of the puck (in control) and number of quality passes made successfully. In both of these, the team is lacking, and a dump & change style will never allow these to be at a point where you can dominate a team to the point that they break and you blow them out. There is one primary reason the team won 9 of their last 12 and that is due to the much improved play of Greg Lewis.

I've seen many CU teams dominate opponents of my higher caliber than Princeton....teams like BU / BC (when they were travel partners in the ECAC), and virtually destroy half their ECAC schedule and defeat nearly the entire other half. This team is improved, but do not compare this to those teams of old.
                              You realize we're 3rd in the ECAC and 13th in the country in possession analytics, right? What you're saying is backed up neither by this weekend's stats (we outshot Princeton 93-64) or by seasonal stats. We've been at or near the top of the ncaa possession stats for three years. Team is 15-2-2 at home, which is fantastic. They're on their way and when they're healthy they can compete with anyone, evidenced by tying and barely losing to Quinnipiac and Yale, and sweeping Harvard.

While you're right that Lewis' improved play has a lot to do with our success in 2016, it's unfair to discount the other statistics, namely we are scoring a half of a goal per game higher than we were in 2015, against significantly better competition (RIT, Niagara, Western Michigan and ASU really boosted our numbers). The whole team is playing better. In ECAC play, it's much more dramatic. 2015 ECAC goals per game: 1.00, 2016 ECAC goals per game: 3.00 - enough said.

Actually the team is also 12-4-1 in the 2016 portion of the ECAC schedule including this past weekend, which is pretty dominant if you ask me. Qunnipiac was 8-1-3 over the same period, which is better, yes, but not dramatically so. Yale was 11-2-1 over that period. Pretty sure those are the only two league teams with better records than us over that timeframe, and not coincidentally the only two teams in the ECAC who have a H2H comparison against us. We split or won with every other team in the league, and were seconds away from a split with Quinnipiac (or even a win). Also, interestingly, we did not get swept by any team this year, scoring at least one point against all opponents.

3-3-2 against top 4 competition, two losses on the road, one loss at home. Two losses to teams in national top 10 (PWR), the other to SLU in Canton. Can't be really upset about those losses really, even if this team wasn't expected to finish 8th.

3-2-1 against middle 4 competition, both losses on the road, tie at home. Totally acceptable.

6-4 against bottom 4 competition, three losses on the road, one loss at home. Of the points you made above, this is the only one where I agree, and feel we really needed to do better. Losses to Princeton, Colgate and Brown on the road cost us a bye - we only needed one more win to get there. Flip those losses to wins, and we're 3rd, as well as in a spot for strong at-large bid consideration.
                              Last edited by daredevilcu; 03-07-2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Hockey has no good measures for time of possession. You know that and I know that. Collegehockeynews uses what it out there but they are not good and the proof is in this year's CU games.

The Corsi method only measures shots taken against shots allowed. It has no measure of quality shots taken vs. allowed, and might I say shots taken is not time of possession. A team can take 20 shots per game from crappy angles over by the boards and get the same value as if they were taken from the slot between the circles. Which 20 shots would YOU want your team to take? Scoring percentage is about as good a measure of possession as Corsi's methods. 8.3% of our shots go in, so that tells me we don't take too many "good shots". We are not 13th in the country in scoring percentage.

A better, more telling statistic, that is not measured is actual time of possession in control of the puck. Yes, it would be hard to measure but I can tell you we would not be in 13th in the Nation in that category. Another possession measure that isn't measured is forced & unforced puck transitions. We might be in the top five in unforced puck transitions (in the negative way). With the means of capturing every game electronically, these actual measures of possession might come to fruition to replace a comparative measure of generic shots between two teams. Does field goal attempts indicate time of possession in football?

I'm in total alignment/agreement with FireKnight on his comments above.

Comment

Working...
                                X