M^2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M^2

OMG! And we coulda had him. This is gonna hurt.

I disagree, Casey is obviously not what our program is accustom to but he's slowly making me believe on the recruiting trail and on the ice that he's here to stay and is really trying to get the program back to the modern day definition of glory days which is 100x different compared to MMs glory days. With a guy like Kielly coming in he's as close to a sure thing as we've got in a long time in net and the team should respond to that off the bat next year. The NC schedule is a bit scary for me as I really don't want to see us start off in a really big hole but there are plenty of games we should win just you never know, the ECAC isn't down but it's definitely not what it was the last few years and it's going to be really hard to tell if there is a top tier team in our league with the departures teams have had to endure.

Comment

As someone who was in 2nd grade when Morris was canned, and, as such, someone who only has stats to go on, it appears Morris's glory days were already on the way out when he was fired. His win percentage started dropping in the 2000s and the 2001 postseason was a horror show (falling to the #10 seed as regular season champion). Reading articles from the time show that Morris was becoming more erratic in his coaching behavior (switching goalies five times in a game once I believe) something that surely did not bode well for Clarkson. While the way he was dismissed was mismanaged to say the least, I don't think his return would be a panacea to all our ills. There is reason for optimism to start this season at least after last year's second half reversal, which I should point out led to Clarkson's best record since 2007–08.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
        As someone who was in 2nd grade when Morris was canned, and, as such, someone who only has stats to go on, it appears Morris's glory days were already on the way out when he was fired. His win percentage started dropping in the 2000s and the 2001 postseason was a horror show (falling to the #10 seed as regular season champion). Reading articles from the time show that Morris was becoming more erratic in his coaching behavior (switching goalies five times in a game once I believe) something that surely did not bode well for Clarkson. While the way he was dismissed was mismanaged to say the least, I don't think his return would be a panacea to all our ills. There is reason for optimism to start this season at least after last year's second half reversal, which I should point out led to Clarkson's best record since 2007–08.
        Morris always had "erratic" tendencies while coaching. He wasn't at all afraid to make a change or a statement based on poor performance or perceived poor performance. It wasn't just late in his tenure. He hit a jackpot in the Conroy years, effectively having a 19th scholarship player and his staff recruited some talent that we haven't seen since.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
          Morris always had "erratic" tendencies while coaching. He wasn't at all afraid to make a change or a statement based on poor performance or perceived poor performance. It wasn't just late in his tenure. He hit a jackpot in the Conroy years, effectively having a 19th scholarship player and his staff recruited some talent that we haven't seen since.
          Before he came to Clarkson he was SLU's top recruiter, and I am sure that carried over to Clarkson. In addition to Conroy don't forget all those guys that ended up in the NHL. Erik Cole, Willie Mitchell, and Chris Clark (from CT near here) spring immediately to mind. I am sure there were many others. He could think outside the box on occasion, yes. But he was able to get good players and was always an analytical guy.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
            Before he came to Clarkson he was SLU's top recruiter, and I am sure that carried over to Clarkson. In addition to Conroy don't forget all those guys that ended up in the NHL. Erik Cole, Willie Mitchell, and Chris Clark (from CT near here) spring immediately to mind. I am sure there were many others. He could think outside the box on occasion, yes. But he was able to get good players and was always an analytical guy.
            And now the landscape of college hockey has changed, those late bloomers rarely happen now with everyone playing at such a high level when they are younger, Sheldon Rempal and Jake Kielly are the type of prized recruits that are realistic now a days, the Willie Mitchell types would never slip away from a big time school. Especially with the NCHC being formed that makes it enticing for recruits to go to a bigger school with top notch facilities like we had back in the 90s compared to a lot of schools. The two time periods are not even comparable and Marks accomplishments were great and are part of the reason we sit on here and demand more from Casey even though it's not all that practical for him to be a consistent threat like Mark but we as fans need to understand we are headed in the right direction and this upcoming year should be our year.

Comment

Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
              And now the landscape of college hockey has changed, those late bloomers rarely happen now with everyone playing at such a high level when they are younger, Sheldon Rempal and Jake Kielly are the type of prized recruits that are realistic now a days, the Willie Mitchell types would never slip away from a big time school. Especially with the NCHC being formed that makes it enticing for recruits to go to a bigger school with top notch facilities like we had back in the 90s compared to a lot of schools. The two time periods are not even comparable and Marks accomplishments were great and are part of the reason we sit on here and demand more from Casey even though it's not all that practical for him to be a consistent threat like Mark but we as fans need to understand we are headed in the right direction and this upcoming year should be our year.
              Interesting theory with no data to back it up. Late bloomers rarely happen? Everyone playing at a higher level when they are younger? We'll see what happens. The green and gold v the red and brown will tell the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                Interesting theory with no data to back it up. Late bloomers rarely happen? Everyone playing at a higher level when they are younger? We'll see what happens. The green and gold v the red and brown will tell the tale.
                Junior hockey programs (all ages) are far more advanced now, late bloomers for sure still happen but with Willie Mitchells scenario a guy like him would be exposed to the big programs and have more exposure now compared to when he was an unknown coming out of BC and would never end up in Potsdam. Casey (Phil and Josh as well) have done an unbelievable job with this recruiting class and the next few are starting to look really good, I can be honest and say I wasn't too thrilled with CJs lack of success in his first few years but that in part had to do with some really poor recruiting classes and a lot of underachieving talent.

Comment

Morris is not having a lot of luck keeping SLU recruits. From the SLU Fans Facebook page:

And it just keeps getting worse. Goalie Ryan Wischow and defenseman Jake McLaughlin, both scheduled to start at SLU this fall, have defected to UMass. Wischow presents a particular problem, because that leaves us with only two goalies unless we pick up a very late recruit
                  Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                  If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    Morris is not having a lot of luck keeping SLU recruits. From the SLU Fans Facebook page:

And it just keeps getting worse. Goalie Ryan Wischow and defenseman Jake McLaughlin, both scheduled to start at SLU this fall, have defected to UMass. Wischow presents a particular problem, because that leaves us with only two goalies unless we pick up a very late recruit
                    Also, a former Union player, Andrew Will, turned down asst coaching job at SLU to remain head coach at Salisbury. Looks like tough sledding so far for MM.
                    2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

American Sports Network interview with Mark.

http://americansportsnet.com/chance-...h-mark-morris/
                      Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                      If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X