Gordie Howe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordie Howe

Sad to here Gordie passed away today. I enjoyed watching him play on TV when I was young (days of black-white TV ).--He was clearly one of the all-time greats. He was tough, but a gentleman too!

Still hear hockey play-by-play guys talk about a Gordie Howe hat trick, which is a goal, an assist, and a fight all in one game.
    There used to be a picture in the Clarkson media guide with Gordie Howe presenting an award/trophy to Clarkson goalie Don Sylvestri in 1980 at a Christmas tournament in Hartford (when the Whalers were still around) for either tourney MVP or all-tourney team. Sylvestri was a rookie and beat UMD 6-0 and BU 8-3 to win the tournament. The good old days for sure.
    RIP Mr. Hockey.

Comment

Gordie was not only a great hockey player, he was a great person. He cut a TV ad for my cousin's lotta truck draw in support of the Don Henderson Sportsplex in Brookfield, NS, and later had dinner with my cousin's family. I was amazed that he would do that in support of a small town hockey rink, which just demonstrates his willingness to support hockey after he retired as "Mr. Hockey." He will be missed by millions.

Comment

Working...
      X