Clarkson 2017-2018 Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to the Lady Golden Knights! A great game today

Now, can someone explain why the WCHA tournament was at Minnesota and not at Wisconsin? Always tough to win on the road.

Comment

• Minnesota beats Wisconsin...

The tournament should line up as follows:

#1 Clarkson hosts #8 Mercyhurst
      #2 Wisconsin hosts #7 Northeastern
      #3 Colgate hosts #6 Ohio State
      #4 Boston College hosts #5 Minnesota

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
        Congrats to the Lady Golden Knights! A great game today

Now, can someone explain why the WCHA tournament was at Minnesota and not at Wisconsin? Always tough to win on the road.
        Yes, the WCHA has the schools bid for the Tourney and Minny has the best on campus facility and usually bids and wins.

Minny will now have to go to Wisconsin and win there to get to the Frozen Four. Why? That is the only trip that Minny can make in a bus, all the other locations that they would go to would require a flight so one of the criteria in the NC$$ Women's Tourney is flights have to be minimized. $$$$$
        Last edited by vicb; 03-04-2018, 04:31 PM.
        Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
        If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
          Minnesota beats Wisconsin...

The tournament should line up as follows:

#1 Clarkson hosts #8 Mercyhurst
          #2 Wisconsin hosts #7 Northeastern
          #3 Colgate hosts #6 Ohio State
          #4 Boston College hosts #5 Minnesota
          Since #5-#8 are unseeded, they can be switched to avoid flights. Therefore:

#1 Clarkson hosts Mercyhurst
          #2 Wisconsin hosts Ohio State
          #3 Colgate hosts Northeastern
          #4 Boston College hosts Minnesota

Comment

• Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post

I don't think they'd do that given the RPI discrepancy between OSU and Northeastern. That's a real disadvantage to Wisconsin.

Comment

You are wrong. To minimize flights Minny goes to Wisconsin because that is a bus trip. Anyone else to Wisconsin is a flight. Bracket Integrity be damned.

From Grant Salzano (BC Fan and Pairwise Guru)

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...lgate-clarkson

I would be pretty certain it's this:

Mercyhurst @ (1) Clarkson
              Minnesota @ (2) Wisconsin
              Northeastern @ (3) Colgate
              Ohio State @ (4) Boston College

But given what they did two years ago, we could end up with:

Ohio State @ (3) Colgate
              Northeastern @ (4) Boston College

Your guess is as good as mine.
              Last edited by vicb; 03-04-2018, 04:41 PM.
              Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
              If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post

You are wrong. To minimize flights Minny goes to Wisconsin because that is a bus trip. Anyone else to Wisconsin is a flight. Bracket Integrity be damned.

From Grant Salzano (BC Fan and Pairwise Guru)

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...lgate-clarkson

I would be pretty certain it's this:

Northeastern @ (3) Colgate
                Ohio State @ (4) Boston College

But given what they did two years ago, we could end up with:

Ohio State @ (3) Colgate
                Northeastern @ (4) Boston College

Your guess is as good as mine.
                People flipped out two years ago, so I'd be surprised by the bottom. I guess Wisconsin and Minnesota are in "bus" range, so the first one from BC Interruption works. I still wonder if the committee might decide that #2 playing #5 isn't really fair, especially when #7 AQed. We'll see at 9.

Comment

People flipped out two years ago, so I'd be surprised by the bottom. I guess Wisconsin and Minnesota are in "bus" range, so the first one from BC Interruption works. I still wonder if the committee might decide that #2 playing #5 isn't really fair, especially when #7 AQed. We'll see at 9.
                  As an elaboration, if UConn had beaten Northeastern today, Wisconsin would be #1 instead of Clarkson, and Minnesota would still be #5. I really would have a hard time believing that #1 Wisconsin would be sent the best unseeded team just because it doesn't involve a flight. Now that Wisconsin is one spot closer, it seems a bit more realistic that Minnesota might be served to them, but I think the same logic implies to an extent.

On a side note, all three championship games today were won by the host. Guess it's a good thing the ECAC awards the hosting duties to the top team to make the semis.

Comment

• Here are the brackets:

Mercyhust @1 Clarkson
                    Minnesota @ 2 Wisconsin
                    Northeastern @ 3 Colgate
                    Ohio State @ 4 Boston College
                    Vicb

Comment

Here are the brackets:

Mercyhust @1 Clarkson
                      Minnesota @ 2 Wisconsin
                      Northeastern @ 3 Colgate
                      Ohio State @ 4 Boston College
                      Yup, Grant (and you) were right. I will honestly say that when I first put down what I expected, I forgot Minnesota and Wisconsin were within driving distance of each other. Still think the bracket would have been better hockey-wise switching Minnesota and Ohio State.

Clarkson's #1, though. I can't argue with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
                        Congrats to the Lady Golden Knights! A great game today

Here is a better explaination of why the WCHA tournament was at Minnesota

Over the weekend's radio broadcasts in Madison, the play-by-play guy did interviews with Mark Johnson and the head of the WCHA for women (separately) , asked them roughly that question (in a sort of 'why not Madison' kind of way') and they gave much the same answer: The Twin Cities are very much centrally located to most of the teams and their fan bases - sorry Ohio; and they have been doing the decisions on hosting in three-year segments, with the thinking that doing it three years in a row at the same arena/school/city might help build fan interest in that particular area, making it an 'annual event' that people would attend repeatedly. The WCHA woman said that decisions on the next 'segment' of games is coming up, and if some other school/city wanted to make a proposal, the would certainly consider it.
                        Vicb

Comment

Here is a better explaination of why the WCHA tournament was at Minnesota

Over the weekend's radio broadcasts in Madison, the play-by-play guy did interviews with Mark Johnson and the head of the WCHA for women (separately) , asked them roughly that question (in a sort of 'why not Madison' kind of way') and they gave much the same answer: The Twin Cities are very much centrally located to most of the teams and their fan bases - sorry Ohio; and they have been doing the decisions on hosting in three-year segments, with the thinking that doing it three years in a row at the same arena/school/city might help build fan interest in that particular area, making it an 'annual event' that people would attend repeatedly. The WCHA woman said that decisions on the next 'segment' of games is coming up, and if some other school/city wanted to make a proposal, the would certainly consider it.
                          And here are some more reasons

Many reasons:
                          1. Often they are the only to put bids in to host.
                          2. Despite the relatively low attendance, it's still 1500 more than they have had at other venues like Bemidji or Grand Forks.
                          2a. There were more Beaver fans at the game on Saturday than have been at a season's worth of home games for them. Since many players are from the TC, entire families could attend, at lease from what I observed!
                          3. Facilties. I know Wisconsin would love to host, but LaBahn doesn't have the locker room space to host, nor the press facility to house media. Sure, you may be able to use some locker room space over at the Kohl, but that is quite a long walk to and from the ice, and there is no way the basketball teams would give up theirs for the weekend -- especially if their season is still in progress. Hey, I LIKE LaBahn, but there is ZERO room left for a regular-season Gopher/Badger game, let alone for a WCHA championship game.
                          Question: If they hosted at Kohl, do they have the locker rooms for three additional teams? And, wouldn't that usually displace men's/women's basketball from potential practices and/or games?

The main thing IMO that keeps the attendance down may be the ticket prices, especially for kids. I think parents of younger children would be more likely to take them if they didn't have to pay the same price for kids as for adults.

Duluth is making a big push to host the next cycle of the Frozen Face-off. They most definitely have the facility, but I think those who have to make the decision are VERY nervous about the attendance numbers from last time they hosted.

Let's not fix anything that's not broken. I think many would agree that Wisconsin has had more than their share of success in the WCHA tournament at Ridder. As for most fans I talk to -- including those for other schools -- they like it in Minneapolis.

Whether you are a Badger, Beaver, Buckeye, or other fan, yours is a better question to ask your AD.
                          Vicb

Comment

• On a slightly different note, does anyone know if last weekend gets taken into account for All-American voting? I ask because Tiley made a really good case to be a first-team All American over Kristen Campbell from Wisconsin if the games are considered, but if they're not, there's probably no way Tiley is first team.

Comment

And here are some more reasons

Many reasons:
                              1. Often they are the only to put bids in to host.
                              2. Despite the relatively low attendance, it's still 1500 more than they have had at other venues like Bemidji or Grand Forks.
                              2a. There were more Beaver fans at the game on Saturday than have been at a season's worth of home games for them. Since many players are from the TC, entire families could attend, at lease from what I observed!
                              3. Facilties. I know Wisconsin would love to host, but LaBahn doesn't have the locker room space to host, nor the press facility to house media. Sure, you may be able to use some locker room space over at the Kohl, but that is quite a long walk to and from the ice, and there is no way the basketball teams would give up theirs for the weekend -- especially if their season is still in progress. Hey, I LIKE LaBahn, but there is ZERO room left for a regular-season Gopher/Badger game, let alone for a WCHA championship game.
                              Question: If they hosted at Kohl, do they have the locker rooms for three additional teams? And, wouldn't that usually displace men's/women's basketball from potential practices and/or games?

The main thing IMO that keeps the attendance down may be the ticket prices, especially for kids. I think parents of younger children would be more likely to take them if they didn't have to pay the same price for kids as for adults.

Duluth is making a big push to host the next cycle of the Frozen Face-off. They most definitely have the facility, but I think those who have to make the decision are VERY nervous about the attendance numbers from last time they hosted.

Let's not fix anything that's not broken. I think many would agree that Wisconsin has had more than their share of success in the WCHA tournament at Ridder. As for most fans I talk to -- including those for other schools -- they like it in Minneapolis.

Whether you are a Badger, Beaver, Buckeye, or other fan, yours is a better question to ask your AD.
                              Kohl has plenty of space. They can do home basketball and men's hockey in the same weekend. They have the 3 home team locker rooms (M&W BB) and 4 other locker rooms. However, it's probably not worth it for UW to open a 15,000 seat arena so I don't even think they'd apply. Displacing basketball isn't an issue, since they're in conference tournaments and the WIAA no longer uses the arena.

Ritter is probably the best place to have the tournament because it's guaranteed to be available. St. Cloud has the locker room space but it's another hour drive past the TC for anyone else going there.

Comment

• This bracket is certainly what I hoped for - my oldest daughter started college this past fall... at Mercyhurst. She's played in the pep band for a few games this year, and was very excited they made it this far. Too bad for her they won't go farther, but we'll have fun cheering on our teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X