Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarkson 2017-2018 Women's Hockey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sorry for the dumb question but, based on the pairwise, why did Ohio State get in and St Anselm didn't?

    Comment


    • Women's hockey doesn't have a Division I tournament, per se, but rather, a "National Collegiate" one. Both D-I and D-II schools are eligible, with the criteria being that you must play at least 20 games against D-I and D-II schools in order to be eligible.

      St Anselm, a D-II school who previously played a full D-III schedule, had a scheduling alliance for one season only with five other D-II schools, who played each other four times each. This was the result of their former conference requiring its members to be full D-III members. The remainder of their games were primarily filled with D-III opponents, which didn't count on their NC record. As a result, they only played five teams in games that actually counted.

      The committee considers each team's full body of work for selection...and considering that St Anselm's only eligible games were against five other D-II schools, they are nowhere near up to the same level of competition as the seven other schools in the tournament, despite their RPI. St. Anselm played 22 eligible games. OSU, the last at-large who got in over them, played 37 games. St Anselm may have been statistically better, but with a smaller sample size consisting of the same five opponents, OSU's resume is much better. If St Anselm had filled their nonconference schedule with D-I opponents, with that RPI, they likely would be in.

      Short version: they don't belong.
      Last edited by cu2010; 03-05-2018, 08:32 PM.
      WCKN Executive Hockey Producer emeritus (served 2009-10)

      Comment


      • Originally posted by cu2010 View Post
        Women's hockey doesn't have a Division I tournament, per se, but rather, a "National Collegiate" one. Both D-I and D-II schools are eligible, with the criteria being that you must play at least 20 games against D-I and D-II schools in order to be eligible.

        St Anselm, a D-II school who previously played a full D-III schedule, had a scheduling alliance for one season only with five other D-II schools, who played each other four times each. This was the result of their former conference requiring its members to be full D-III members. The remainder of their games were primarily filled with D-III opponents, which didn't count on their NC record. As a result, they only played five teams in games that actually counted.

        The committee considers each team's full body of work for selection...and considering that St Anselm's only eligible games were against five other D-II schools, they are nowhere near up to the same level of competition as the seven other schools in the tournament, despite their RPI. St. Anselm played 22 eligible games. OSU, the last at-large who got in over them, played 37 games. St Anselm may have been statistically better, but with a smaller sample size consisting of the same five opponents, OSU's resume is much better. If St Anselm had filled their nonconference schedule with D-I opponents, with that RPI, they likely would be in.

        Short version: they don't belong.
        I wonder why they don't try to start scheduling some more low end D-I schools. SHU and Holy Cross are already D-I programs, so they do play some D-I opponents. Also, with their nice arena, they'd be a good fit for the AHA or CHA in men's and women's hockey.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by FireKnight View Post

          I wonder why they don't try to start scheduling some more low end D-I schools. SHU and Holy Cross are already D-I programs, so they do play some D-I opponents. Also, with their nice arena, they'd be a good fit for the AHA or CHA in men's and women's hockey.
          St Anselm did play 9 games involving Sacred Heart and Holy Cross.

          Against Sacred Heart their record was 3-1-1
          Against Holy Cross their record was 1-2-1
          Last edited by vicb; 03-06-2018, 04:35 AM.
          Vicb

          Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
          If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

          Comment


          • NC$$ Opponent this weekend is Mercyhurst, the CHA Regular Season 2nd place team and CHA Tournament Champ

            Clarkson and Mercyhurst have a number of common opponents

            St Lawrence: CCT 5-0-0, MH 0-1-1
            Colgate: CCT 2-1-1, MH 0-2-0, Both had one loss in OT
            Penn State: CCT 2-0-0, MH 1-0-3
            Syracuse: CCT 2-0-0, MH 4-1-0
            Bemidji: CCT 2-0-0, MH 0-1-1, loss was in OT
            RPI: CCT 2-0-0, MH 1-1-0

            They also played a number of other NC$$ teams
            Wisconsin: 0-2-0 Opened the year
            Minnesota 0-2-0 One loss in OT
            Ohio State 1-1-0

            Against the CHA Regular season champ Robert Morris they were 3-2-0

            In 2017 they were 7-11-2
            In 2018 they are 11-3-2

            They have 2 Olympians on their roster from Finland, Tanskanen their 2nd leading scorer with 14 G & 27 PTS and Nuutinen 8 G & 12 PTS
            Leading scorer is Knott with 12 G & 29 Pts
            They have 4 skaters with 10 or more goals and 13 skaters with 10 or more PTS

            I would expect that they would play freshman Blair in goal 1.57 GAA and .934 SV%

            They will not be a push over but if Clarkson stays out of the box and plays their usual game they should advance to Minnesota's Ridder Area and the Frozen Four.


            Vicb

            Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
            If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

            Comment


            • Does anyone know where this game will be streamed given that it is an NCAA productions. Let me know. Thanks

              Comment


              • Originally posted by vicb View Post

                St Anselm did play 9 games involving Sacred Heart and Holy Cross.

                Against Sacred Heart their record was 3-1-1
                Against Holy Cross their record was 1-2-1
                I'm aware but it just seems to me that they'd want to play a D-1 schedule. They built an arena in 2003 which is bigger than almost all of the AHA or CHA arenas and it's also bigger than Appleton, Achilles, and Hobey in our conference.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MO1999 View Post
                  Does anyone know where this game will be streamed given that it is an NCAA productions. Let me know. Thanks
                  NCAA.com is where you will find it if you can find it. More than likely on the Clarkson Athletic page they will provide a link to the game.
                  Vicb

                  Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                  If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    NC$$ Opponent this weekend is Mercyhurst, the CHA Regular Season 2nd place team and CHA Tournament Champ
                    Thanks for the synopsis on M'Hurst vic. As you know, they have a pretty decent history in D-1, despite this year being a down year. They seem to be peaking at the right time though and they're well coached.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MO1999 View Post
                      Does anyone know where this game will be streamed given that it is an NCAA productions. Let me know. Thanks
                      In past years it has been done like a normal home game (so YouTube and Clarkson Athletics site this year). The WCKN people would probably know better. At the very least you should be able to find a link through the bracket on NCAA.com come gameday.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by FireKnight View Post

                        Thanks for the synopsis on M'Hurst vic. As you know, they have a pretty decent history in D-1, despite this year being a down year. They seem to be peaking at the right time though and they're well coached.
                        Mercyhurst hasn't been like the Mercyhurst of old since Clarkson smacked them around in the 2014 Frozen Four (the last time the pair met). It's hard to call it a down year when Mercyhurst has not finished in the Pairwise top eight in four straight years after running off a streak of consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, which I believe Minnesota has only just matched, without the help of any automatic qualifications.

                        Comment


                        • The Clarkson - Mercyhurst game can be viewed thru the following link.

                          http://clarksonathletics.com/sports/...eel-arena.aspx
                          Vicb

                          Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                          If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            The Clarkson - Mercyhurst game can be viewed thru the following link.

                            http://clarksonathletics.com/sports/...eel-arena.aspx
                            I have just received word that, in addition to above, the game will also be available via WCKN's YouTube channel.

                            Comment


                            • I was asked a question today that I could not answer. Are any of the Tech hockey players married ?

                              Comment


                              • GAME DAY

                                On the line a trip to the Frozen 4 in Frozen Minneapolis. Play Clarkson Hockey and stay out of the box.

                                Vicb

                                Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                                If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X