Colgate and Cornell: The Crucible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colgate and Cornell: The Crucible

I thought I'd get a separate thread going for this upcoming weekend's games early this week. Arguably, these will be the biggest regular season games Clarkson has played in almost a decade. Clarkson takes it's top 10 ranking into Central NY, where they have not won a regular season game since January 2008, to face two other ranked teams. Arguably, the nation's three best goaltenders and three best defenses will see action. A positive result would likely establish Clarkson as the favorite to win the conference. Big game opportunities like this have been few and far between for the men's team in recent years, and I almost wonder if they would do well getting advice from the women's team, which has made getting big game wins a staple over the past couple years, how to handle the pressure. Clarkson will be tested and I think we will find out this team's real mettle this weekend. I don't think I've looked forward to a weekend of Clarkson men's hockey this much since I became a student a few years ago.

Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
    I thought I'd get a separate thread going for this upcoming weekend's games early this week. Arguably, these will be the biggest regular season games Clarkson has played in almost a decade. Clarkson takes it's top 10 ranking into Central NY, where they have not won a regular season game since January 2008, to face two other ranked teams. Arguably, the nation's three best goaltenders and three best defenses will see action. A positive result would likely establish Clarkson as the favorite to win the conference. Big game opportunities like this have been few and far between for the men's team in recent years, and I almost wonder if they would do well getting advice from the women's team, which has made getting big game wins a staple over the past couple years, how to handle the pressure. Clarkson will be tested and I think we will find out this team's real mettle this weekend. I don't think I've looked forward to a weekend of Clarkson men's hockey this much since I became a student a few years ago.
    I have been to many of these games (except for Cornell 2 years ago, I think all for the last 6-7 years) so I think I'm the jinx. The good news is that I won't be at Colgate; the bad news is that I will be at Cornell.

Comment

Originally posted by drs1990 View Post
      I have been to many of these games (except for Cornell 2 years ago, I think all for the last 6-7 years) so I think I'm the jinx. The good news is that I won't be at Colgate; the bad news is that I will be at Cornell.
      Saturday will be my first game at Lynah - I will counter jinx your jinx, jinx.

Anyone else going - sitting in section O with the band?

Comment

Let's Go Tech

Clearly this is a real big weekend. I'm looking forward to it, while also wishing it were over so I could see the result. Our early season non-league performance has positioned us well, but two wins this weekend are critical for year end seeding and winning the ECAC.

Comment

This weekend can't come quick enough, Colgate is solid and all but Point and the defense makes or breaks that team, I have a feeling their forwards will really struggle with breaking down our system. Cornell is a completely different animal, they should be in this position, all we can hope for is a decent officiating crew as it most likely will be chippy, is Cornell still doing the thing where opposing pep bands can't play their instruments at Lynah? I mean it's not like the so called loyal Big Red band will travel up north but if by some shot in the dark I would hope we return that favor to prove a point.

Comment

Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
            This weekend can't come quick enough, Colgate is solid and all but Point and the defense makes or breaks that team, I have a feeling their forwards will really struggle with breaking down our system. Cornell is a completely different animal, they should be in this position, all we can hope for is a decent officiating crew as it most likely will be chippy, is Cornell still doing the thing where opposing pep bands can't play their instruments at Lynah? I mean it's not like the so called loyal Big Red band will travel up north but if by some shot in the dark I would hope we return that favor to prove a point.
            Opposing bands have always been allowed to play. It's actually an ECAC rule. The Clarkson band has gone to every game at Lynah since 2003 (or longer) as far as I am aware - including playoffs.

And yes, the Big Red band does travel to Clarkson. I was up there last January, so were they, and I learned that kids that were in kindergarten when I was a freshman at Clarkson are now college freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by daredevilcu View Post
              Opposing bands have always been allowed to play. It's actually an ECAC rule. The Clarkson band has gone to every game at Lynah since 2003 (or longer) as far as I am aware - including playoffs.

And yes, the Big Red band does travel to Clarkson. I was up there last January, so were they, and I learned that kids that were in kindergarten when I was a freshman at Clarkson are now college freshmen.
              I was at playoff game in 13-14 I believe and our pep band were not allowed to play their instruments, I also go to majority of Clarkson Cornell home games and it's rare to see them there as of late, I do believe they came last year but that was the first time in years.

Comment

Originally posted by keener83 View Post
                Saturday will be my first game at Lynah - I will counter jinx your jinx, jinx.

Anyone else going - sitting in section O with the band?

I will be there as well in Section O and I will be away from the band the best i can be. Last year I had great seats behind the Clarkson bench in Section N for the Playoff series at Lynah. Anyone going to be a the Colgate game? I will be... Section 9 to see Clarkson shoot twice on the Colgate goal. Hoping for the 3rd straight 4 point weekend in ECAC play.

Comment

Cheer us on - those that can be with the Knights

Good luck cheering us on for all that can make it to this weekend's games. It is a very big weekend, and we need your support at the game! Go Tech!!

Comment

Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
                    I was at playoff game in 13-14 I believe and our pep band were not allowed to play their instruments, I also go to majority of Clarkson Cornell home games and it's rare to see them there as of late, I do believe they came last year but that was the first time in years.
                    I'm 100% certain you're mistaken about that. The band is required to sit down during play, which is super tedious, but they've never prevented the band from playing.

Comment

USCHO picks for Tech's weekend games

Picks By Nathan Fournier • ECAC Hockey Columnist • Nov. 16, 2017

Friday, Nov. 17
                      Clarkson at Colgate
                      Part of me wants to pick a scoreless tie as the game will showcase two of the better goaltenders not only in the conference, but in the nation so far this season. Like I said, I don’t think many goals will be scored. I think Clarkson has enough offense depth to win 2-1.

Saturday Nov 18
                      Clarkson at Cornell
                      The match-up of the weekend between two conference teams. This should another good game between two solid goalies. If both teams win Friday, this will be a battle for first place in the conference as Union is idle on the weekend. Cornell takes it 3-2.

Comment

Clarkson 5 Colgate 2

WHOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOO

THE 10 YEAR WINLESS STREAK AT COLGATE IS HISTORY .

THE GOOD
                        THE POWER PLAY 2 for 3
                        Rempal (2) Dickinson (2) and Pierog with the goals
                        Kielly stops 27 of 29

THE NOT SO GOOD
                        Gave up 2 PP Goals
                        Sturm was injured in the third

Onward to Lynah.
                        Last edited by vicb; 11-17-2017, 09:22 PM.
                        Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                        If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Great game for Clarkson tonight with 5-2 win over Colgate. Hope Sturm's injury isn't serious enough to keep him from playing tomorrow night at Cornell. I'll be at the Cornell game tomorrow--LGT!!!

Comment

Saturday, November 18, 2017 7:30 AM

Good morning to all Clarkson fans. Isn't it fun to support such an awesome team? During the past ten years, the Golden Knights's record at Starr Rink, now newly named the Class of 1965 Rink, was zero wins (ugly) seven losses, and three ties. That horrid record ended last knight with a superb effort by our team. It was cool to hand Colgate such a dramatic loss. Here are our heroes and their helpers:

1. Josh Dickinson scored his sixth goal in the 13th minute of the first period, to tie the game at one apiece. Josh's teammates Jack Jacome and Haralds Egle earned the assists on that goal. The period ended in a one to one tie.

2. Captain Nic Pierog scored Clarkson's first goal of the second period. Line mates Brett Gervais and Marly Quince were given assists. The Golden Knights lead 2 to 1 as the period ended.

3. Not being comfortable with only a one-goal lead, Sheldon Rempal scored his ninth goal of the season. Kelly Summers and Terrance Amorosa assisted on Clarkson's third goal.

4. A few minutes later, Josh Dickinson scored his second goal of the knight to give Clarkson a 4 to 1 lead. Jack Jacome and Kevin Charyszyn were happy to assist on Josh's goal.

5. Not to be outdone by Josh, Sheldon Rempal scored his tenth goal of the year, with assists by Greg Moro and Devin Brosseau. Clarkson's fifth and final goal was at 18:32 of the final period.

Unfortunately, with only one darn second remaining in the game, Colgate was able to score a power play goal to end the game.

Special credit to Jake Kielly for stopping all but two of Colgate's shots on goal, both of which were power play goals.

As Clarkson sits in first place in the ECAC standings, tied with Cornell with five wins and no losses nor ties, the game tonight against Cornell will surely rank among the most important of the year. At the other end of the spectrum is SLU, with the worst record in its history of one win, eleven losses, and one tie.

OUR KNIGHTS ARE AWESOME AND THEN SOME.

BEAT LITTLE RED TOKNIGHT
                            Last edited by Goldie Knight; 11-18-2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie Knight View Post
                              Saturday, November 18, 2017 7:30 AM

Good morning to all Clarkson fans. Isn't it fun to support such an awesome team? During the past ten years, the Golden Knights's record at Starr Rink, now newly named the Class of 1965 Rink, was zero wins (ugly) seven losses, and three ties. That horrid record ended last knight with a superb effort by our team. It was cool to hand Colgate such a dramatic loss. Here are our heroes and their helpers:

OUR KNIGHTS ARE AWESOME AND THEN SOME.

BEAT LITTLE RED TOKNIGHT
                              Minor correction Goldie, Class of 1965 is a new rink that replaced Starr Rink.

I have to say the FREE HD video available of the game was awesome. They even showed multiple replays of all the goals scored from different cameras. Wish Clarkson could improve the quality of the video to this. Also the Colgate announcer called a very impartial accounting of the play by play.

Onward to LYNAH toknight. Hope Nico can play and I hope the referee's don't screw us like they did last year in the playoffs there.
                              Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                              If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X