Clarkson at Canisius: Don't Sleep on the Golden Griffins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarkson at Canisius: Don't Sleep on the Golden Griffins

It's an all-Golden game as the Golden Knights travel to Buffalo to take on the Golden Griffins. This game marks an end of a series of seven away from Cheel for Clarkson. Clarkson is undoubtedly in the middle of its best run in over a decade, but they would be wise, as several posters have pointed out, to beware the Canisius. Aside from the fact that they have never beaten the Griffins (a point that should be rendered moot by the fact that their prior meetings came during the dark years of Clarkson hockey), returning from the Friendship Four proved a beast to last year's teams. Quinnipiac in particular went into a funk they really have yet to snap out of. Kudos to whoever at Clarkson who decided to schedule just one non-conference game the next weekend. Canisius is doing well as of late, but Clarkson should win if they continue to execute as they have. Sadly, I won't be watching since I'm not paying $10.99 for one game. (I'll pay $49.95 for the Ivy League because it gives me all 12 games that the men's and women's team play at the Ivies over the course of a season. This is highway robbery.)

USCHO picks for Saturday night vs Canisius

Clarkson at Canisius
    (Nathan Fournier • ECAC Hockey Columnist • Nov. 30, 2017)

The Golden Knights are coming off a Friendship Four Championship and they return to the States with a non conference game with the Golden Griffins. Clarkson shouldn’t look past Canisius with the 8-4-1 record. Clarkson talent should carry them to victory. The Golden Knights win 4-2.

Let's go Tech!

Comment

"We can't look past them"...for what...exams? Come on now. I'd be more worried about the traffic affecting the return to P-dam on Sunday than looking past a game for a weekend away match-up with SLU right now.

My greatest worry is an A-HA officiating nightmare / home-job. The wrong calls to try to keep it close could mean players miss the next weekend, and CU's track record for taking penalties (up until this year, at least) is quite known throughout the ref crews of the eastern conferences. AHA needs a "golden boy" to continue to promote their weak conference and how better than to over scrutinize so that your top team has a chance. That should be the teams #1 worry...crappy penalties. In the games I've seen at Niagara and RIT, I've seen some very questionable calls on Tech.

That said, the Golden Griffins are ranked #56 in strength of schedule (in the KRACH), so their 8-4-1 record isn't much more than a paper-tiger. I'll give them a goal and my expectation is 6-1 CU, but I wouldn't be surprised is we put up 8...like RPI did on the A-HA's other paper-tiger, RIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
        "We can't look past them"...for what...exams? Come on now. I'd be more worried about the traffic affecting the return to P-dam on Sunday than looking past a game for a weekend away match-up with SLU right now.

My greatest worry is an A-HA officiating nightmare / home-job. The wrong calls to try to keep it close could mean players miss the next weekend, and CU's track record for taking penalties (up until this year, at least) is quite known throughout the ref crews of the eastern conferences. AHA needs a "golden boy" to continue to promote their weak conference and how better than to over scrutinize so that your top team has a chance. That should be the teams #1 worry...crappy penalties. In the games I've seen at Niagara and RIT, I've seen some very questionable calls on Tech.

That said, the Golden Griffins are ranked #56 in strength of schedule (in the KRACH), so their 8-4-1 record isn't much more than a paper-tiger. I'll give them a goal and my expectation is 6-1 CU, but I wouldn't be surprised is we put up 8...like RPI did on the A-HA's other paper-tiger, RIT.
        RW - Great insight. I know there will be a good contingent of Clarkson Alumni in Buffalo Saturday, yourself included, so like at Cornell, it won't feel so much like a road game. This is a potential banana peel game, Canisius has a good power play and will be up to play a top 5 team, but Kielly is the difference this year. CU 5-1.

Comment

Probably will be a few lineup chances to be honest, I don't think it'll be anything crazy but maybe swap out a D and maybe Gareau gets back in from his injury, love our depth this year and it seems the team is growing more and more along with developing chemistry in the locker room that goes beyond the line you play on. Canisius is probably the best or second best team in AH so I don't think it'll be a pushover but it is a game we should win and it's a game where they shouldn't score much, I'll go with 4-1 Tech.

Comment

I think we will have over 100 alumni, friends, and family in attendance tonight. Should be a good showing of Green and Gold in the Harbor Center.
            If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

Comment

TV $

TV costs $10.95

NO THANKS

Comment

I pay for nearly every game, because I figure it's still cheaper than going to watch in person.

Comment

Clarkson 5 Canisus 1

WHOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOO
                  The boys take care of business.

THE GOOD
                  Goals by Rempal (2), Dickinson, Quince, Sturm
                  Kielly with the win in the nets
                  PP is clicking once again with 2 for 4

THE NOT SO GOOD
                  Too bad Kielly lost the shut out.
                  Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                  If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    WHOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOO
                    The boys take care of business.

THE GOOD
                    Goals by Rempal (2), Dickinson, Quince, Sturm
                    Kielly with the win in the nets
                    PP is clicking once again with 2 for 4

THE NOT SO GOOD
                    Too bad Kielly lost the shut out.
                    The first period was a bit tentative, but these guys are very clinical in their approach....they do not get caught up in their ranking, they do not appear to be cocky......very clinical....go in ...get the job done and go home. Great road trip....and I hope they keep the same mind set.
                    2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

Well Bill '70 & others who did not watch this game, you missed a beauty. I took the drive down the Dewey and saw one heck of a game. The Harborcenter is a beautiful arena and the Canisius folks were nice to the green & gold swarm that came to watch their Knights. I'd have to estimate that over half the crowd was there for Clarkson. No one who came for CU left disappointed and what a show this team put on for them.

A tight first period where the Griffins did well at blocking the lanes in mid-ice so our attack could not get on track quickly changed in the second period. CU went into swarm hockey; sometimes being a little too "cute" on passing and trying one, too many, passes. Had shots been taken instead of that extra pass, the score could have been very lopsided. The goals by Quince, Rempal (1st) and Sturm were some of the prettiest passing and goals I've seen from CU in decades...going back to the Todd White days. You could sense the breaking of the Griffins after the third goal, but our power-play was ended with a penalty, and that gave the Griffin's a little breather, which they used to their advantage and scored on and odd-man break. Period 3 was owned by CU...almost like a cat who is playing with its catch.

I was impressed by Astren's play and the four freshman forwards. What a class we have for the next four years. Shane Kuzmeski, who doesn't get many opportunities, had a good game as well.

Right now CU is tight, focused and on a mission and SLU is next on their target. Rempal looks like the next coming of Todd White, the last CU player I saw who could dominate and dictate the game whenever he was on the ice. I saw CU in the Lowell-Providence weekend, and what I saw vs. Canisius was not the same team. Go see these guys because this team is the definition of a team gelling, coming together & on a mission. Hats are off to Nick Pierog and the Assts, as well as the coaches, for getting this team so focused.

Comment

Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:20 AM

My goodness, my Dunkin Donuts combination of hazelnut and caramel coffee just keeps tasting better and better with every Clarkson win. Thanks to so many Clarkson fans for taking the time to attend the game against Canisius. Walker and Assistant Coach Josh Hauge both commented on the huge Clarkson presence, even though there were only 1,616 fans in attendance. Casey mentioned there was a great deal of positive energy in the locker room. Casey credits the victory to being prepared and having a good week of practice.

I wondered if all the warnings not to take Canisius lightly were in the back of the minds of the Clarkson players, as the first period was not impressive for the Golden Knights. Clarkson outshot their opponent by a narrow 10 ~ 7 margin. But quite honestly, most of us have learned to believe in the ability of this team to play the entire sixty minutes in every game. There was no scoring during this period.

Here are our heroes and their helpers:

1. Junior Marly Quince scored Clarkson's first goal during the second minute of Period 2. Kelly Summers and Juho Jokiharju were awarded the assists.

2. Clarkson's leading scorer, Sheldon Rempal, scored his twelfth Clarkson goal during the fourth minute of this period. Assistant Captain Devin Brosseau received the assist.

3. Nico Sturm scored Clarkson's third goal (within a four minute and 11 second time frame). His linemates were Sheldon Rempal and Devin Brosseau.

Period 2 ended with the following score: the Golden Guys 3.....the other team....1

4. Sheldon Rempal, on a Clarkson power play, scored his thirteenth goal of the season. His companions Nico Sturm and Devin Brosseau earned assists.

5. Clarkson's fifth and final goal was scored by the amazing freshman, Josh Dickinson, who scored his tenth goal of the season. Awarded assists were other amazing freshmen Jack Jacome and Jere Astren.

The final score was Clarkson 5....Canisius 1. In four games against Canisius, this is the first game Clarkson has won.

Congratulations to Jake Kielly on being stingy and only allowing one goal in the entire game. I can remember telling my husband after Canisius's first goal, that goal would be the only one Jake would allow. Also impressive is the fact Clarkson's record continues to thrill Golden Knight fans.

OUR KNIGHTS ARE AWESOME AND THEN SOME.
                        Last edited by Goldie Knight; 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Fun fact: with the win over Canisius, Casey Jones is now over .500 on his career for the first time since early in his first season. Hopefully he stays over .500 for good.

Comment

Working...
                          X