Canadian National Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian National Anthem

I was talking with another Clarkson Alumnus from the 1960's the other day, who mentioned that the playing of the Canadian National Anthem had been suspended during the tenure of "Wee Willy" Whitson.

I couldn't recall it, and I wonder if anyone from that era remembers the story?

I was there from 1962-1966 and don't recall ever hearing that. I attended every hpme game during that span. I was never a fan of Witson as President.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich66 View Post
      I was there from 1962-1966 and don't recall ever hearing that. I attended every hpme game during that span. I was never a fan of Witson as President.
      Pres Whitson made CCT coed, that makes him a legend in my book
      Last edited by keener83; 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keener83 View Post
        Pres Witson made CCT coed, that makes him a legend in my book
        I turned 71 a month ago, and I don't remember the Anthem issue. I posted to see if anyone else remembered it.

I do remember the coed thing.

Comment

As I recollect, in my Jr year at Clarkson (CCT) four females started at Clarkson. For the 1st two years they were housed in the old Holcroft ? House on the upper campus. One of them was The Jr Miss od Mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich66 View Post
            As I recollect, in my Jr year at Clarkson (CCT) four females started at Clarkson. For the 1st two years they were housed in the old Holcroft ? House on the upper campus. One of them was The Jr Miss od Mass.
            My Freshman year ("65-'66) was the second year with coeds. I believe there were 4 or five the first year, and maybe 5 or 7 the next year.

I have to give those women a lot of credit for their courage. During my first week of classes my Freshman year, I was seated next to the most attractive coed in our class. Alphabetical seating arrangement - lecture hall in Snell Hall. I could feel the eyes of all of the guys in that hall looking at her, watching her every move. Talk about being under the microscope.

I wonder if the women in those first classes have ever been recognized at Alumni Reunions? I think the 50th for the first class will be next summer.

Comment

Hardly anyone ever comes back to reunions. When I was there for my 15th (1992), it was packed with a great kids program that my 3 boys loved. I went back this summer for my 40th and # of attendees was smaller than it was in 1992 with no kids program. The Class of 1977 had maybe 20 of us. In 1992, we filled a lot of the Pit Cafeteria.

I don't know what the alumni office is doing, but they need to do better.
              CCT '77 & '78

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Hardly anyone ever comes back to reunions. When I was there for my 15th (1992), it was packed with a great kids program that my 3 boys loved. I went back this summer for my 40th and # of attendees was smaller than it was in 1992 with no kids program. The Class of 1977 had maybe 20 of us. In 1992, we filled a lot of the Pit Cafeteria.

I don't know what the alumni office is doing, but they need to do better.
                We had our fraternity's 50th reunion celebration during alumni reunion this year and we were by far the largest group up there. Many of our members didn't even go to campus. I went to get my free gift (a cheap cutting board made in China) and was hoping to see the 2017 Championship Trophy, but it was apparently with Matt, who was giving a presentation. Honestly though, our fraternity only has had 700 or so members in 50 years; it doesn't say much for the reunion weekend that we were the biggest group represented.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                  We had our fraternity's 50th reunion celebration during alumni reunion this year and we were by far the largest group up there. Many of our members didn't even go to campus. I went to get my free gift (a cheap cutting board made in China) and was hoping to see the 2017 Championship Trophy, but it was apparently with Matt, who was giving a presentation. Honestly though, our fraternity only has had 700 or so members in 50 years; it doesn't say much for the reunion weekend that we were the biggest group represented.
                  Interesting comments. Years ago, I was very active in Clarkson Alumni activities. I participated on numerous Alumni phonathons, I reactivated the NYC Alumni Chapter, initiated a chapter out on Long Island and served on the Alumni Board. Bill Fiesinger approached me to return to Potsdam and work for the school, heading up the Alumni Fund Drive. I had no desire to return to Potsdam at that time.

For the two years prior to attending Clarkson, I went to Northwood School in Lake Placid. 25 guys graduated with me in my Class of 1965. In 1985, our first reunion in 20 years, I went around the country by phone (before the internet), located & contacted every one of my classmates. I had seen only one of them in the intervening years. Twelve of those guys attended that first reunion, and since then, we’ve had as many as 19 come back to subsequent reunions. Many of us are closer today than we were 50 years ago.

I guess what I’m saying is that what drives attendance is not work by the Alumni Office, it’s communication between classmates. (Your fraternity is a good example) It’s a lot of work, but then, friendships over the miles can take work.

Comment

Working...
                  X