Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarkson vs. SLU: Do Rivalries still Matter when One Team is Great and the Other Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarkson vs. SLU: Do Rivalries still Matter when One Team is Great and the Other Bad?

This evening marks the Battle of Route 11 for the season, and, for once, the pep band's cheers are likely accurate about the difference in levels of the teams abilities. Even before this week's announcement of program investigations, SLU has not been very good at all this year. I know they had an All-American goaltender transfer out, but they've honestly been in a funk since they lost to Clarkson last February. Clarkson, on the other hand, has soared to near the top of the national rankings, and has a very good case as the best team in the East in the first half. While anything can happen this weekend, Clarkson is supposed to sweep SLU convincingly, which leads me to ask, do rivalries matter when the disparity between the teams is as great as it is this year? SLU has a chance to get an upset, but does it really mean anything for Clarkson if they get the two wins they're supposed to?

Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
    This evening marks the Battle of Route 11 for the season, and, for once, the pep band's cheers are likely accurate about the difference in levels of the teams abilities. Even before this week's announcement of program investigations, SLU has not been very good at all this year. I know they had an All-American goaltender transfer out, but they've honestly been in a funk since they lost to Clarkson last February. Clarkson, on the other hand, has soared to near the top of the national rankings, and has a very good case as the best team in the East in the first half. While anything can happen this weekend, Clarkson is supposed to sweep SLU convincingly, which leads me to ask, do rivalries matter when the disparity between the teams is as great as it is this year? SLU has a chance to get an upset, but does it really mean anything for Clarkson if they get the two wins they're supposed to?
    To me, of course it matters, it always matters. If SLU had the chance to put up 10, they would.....and so would we.
    Last edited by Drew; 12-08-2017, 10:28 AM.
    2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

There is just something in a rivalry game that brings out the best in both teams. Clarkson will be ready as will the Saints. Anything can happen. Can't wait for 7PM and the drop of the puck.

Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
      If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

We are just 2 years removed from that great playoff series at Appleton which was probably the best all-around hockey I've seen live in my life. There are a good number of SLU players that still remember that series and still remember how it feels to play your rival and leave 120% on the ice and come out victorious. The kids in brown and red will be up for this game, even if they've lost all confidence in the coach.

Comment

I guess I was really looking at this more from the Clarkson and outsider perspective. Obviously this is big for SLU. If they can beat Clarkson, even once, it will likely be their sole highlight of the year. For the outsider, though, there really isn't that much to be interested in in these games. From the Clarkson perspective, yeah you want to beat SLU, but honestly you can only celebrate and hold your head high so much when your opponent has one win. I obviously want to see Clarkson win both games, but must say I was much more excited for the Colgate-Cornell weekend and the Friendship Four than I am for these two games. If we win we did what was expected; if we lose we get to look forward to SLU rubbing it in our faces that we couldn't beat what has thus far been a terrible SLU team.

Those of us who followed women's hockey saw a lacking of parity negatively affecting a rivalry with Clarkson and SLU for many years. It was infrequent to see both teams be good at the same time (last year was the first year that both teams made the NCAA tournament in the same year despite at least one representing every year since 2004 except for 2011), so the games often lacked the big rivalry feel. The two teams have been good the past two years, which is why the more recent games have felt like a real rivalry between the two.

Comment

Not much to gain this wekend

It is always great when we beat the Larries. This weekend presents us with little to gain with a win, but a lot to lose if we don't win. Just beating SLU will hurt us in the PWR ratings, since they are so low in the PWR ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by BillG View Post
              It is always great when we beat the Larries. This weekend presents us with little to gain with a win, but a lot to lose if we don't win. Just beating SLU will hurt us in the PWR ratings, since they are so low in the PWR ratings.
              I agree with the first and second statements but not the third. I'm pretty sure the RPI ratings will remove SLU from our calculation if we win since the RPI is designed to make sure you rating is not hurt by a game you win. RPI is what decides comparisons against teams you don't have any head-to-head matchups against, since there is only one other comparison (common opponents), and a tie always goes to the team with the better RPI. I hope I explained that adequately.

Comment

That's correct, RPI gets adjusted to remove penalties and negative effects from "bad wins". I don't know if that requires manual adjustment though, so we may temporarily drop in PWR until that adjustment takes place, assuming we win.

Comment

Clarkson 3 SLU 1 game 1

WHOOO WHOOO

Just a chippy ugly game

THE GOOD
                  Goals by Rempal (2) and Sturm (EN)
                  Kielly solid once again in the nets

THE NOT SO GOOD
                  Sloppy stick work for the most part
                  Very Chippy
                  Referees missed a lot of interference penalties on SLU
                  Cooper had to be helped off the ice with some type of leg injury

Round 2 tomorrow at Appleton
                  Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                  If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Originally posted by daredevilcu View Post
                    That's correct, RPI gets adjusted to remove penalties and negative effects from "bad wins". I don't know if that requires manual adjustment though, so we may temporarily drop in PWR until that adjustment takes place, assuming we win.
                    I would think that it is done automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
                      I guess I was really looking at this more from the Clarkson and outsider perspective. Obviously this is big for SLU. ... If we win we did what was expected; if we lose we get to look forward to SLU rubbing it in our faces that we couldn't beat what has thus far been a terrible SLU team.
                      If we lose, either of the games, all those out of conference wins and our placement in the national polls will be thrown out the window. Respect for what this team has done, in the eyes of the poll voters, will be greatly diminished.

In the last two weeks, ECAC is 3 wins, 6 losses against out of conference opponents. That is seriously impacting Clarkson in the pairwise and KRACH due to strength of schedule dropping.

We won on Friday...we must win Saturday. A win, we stay where we are...a loss and we drop to 8th and lose a #1 seeding spot in the NCAA regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by ursaminor View Post
                        I would think that it is done automatically.
                        Knowing how complex the RPI calculation is and how even more complex finding the negative effect from wins against weak teams would be, I'm guessing it has to be done automatically by a computer.

Comment

I know he's one of the conference's better refs, but there's still something disheartening about seeing the opponent's name on the back of the ref's jersey.

Comment

I finally got to watch the game after working last night and going to a Christmas party this morning. If Paul Stewart wants to send out a video to his officials about how to lose control of a game, this was it. I understand SLU has had a rough season and there's a lot of frustration but they really gooned it up in the 2nd and 3rd periods. It's a shame that Cooper had to get hurt on an unnecessary hit. Hopefully we'll get through tonight's game intact; I could see them taking a run at Kielly.

Comment

Going to be a tough game tonight, team looks tired and needs the break. SLU is going to be all out and they had the 2 week break. Hoping no one gets hurt.
                              2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X