Clarkson Men's Hockey 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLARKSON 1 QUINNIPIAC 0

16:43 to go, Mobley knocks in a rebound. Quick start for Clarkson.

Comment

• CLARKSON 2 QUINNIPIAC 0

Jacome throws a shot at the net, goes through Petruzzelli. Qpac changed goalie, Fear now in net.

Comment

• Petruzzelli back in net, still 2-0 Clarkson

Comment

• CLARKSON 3 QUINNIPIAC 0

Campoli scores, Clarkson now 3 for 6 shots of Petruzzelli.12:26 to go in the 1st.

Comment

• CLARKSON 3 QUINNIPIAC 1

Qpac scores on the PP with 2:41 to go in the 1st.

Comment

• END OF 1ST: CLARKSON 3 QUINNIPIAC 1

Comment

• Also, Marotte '20 signed with the Islanders today. Best luck to him.

Comment

• END OF REGULATION: CLARKSON 4 QUINNIPIAC 4

Comment

• FINAL: CLARKSON 5 QUINNIPIAC 4 (OT)

Tsekos gets the OT winner. Clarkson should have had that win back in the 1st and 2nd, but Clarkson will take it.

Comment

• The team has a lot of upside, they also have way too many unexpected flaws. Clarkson, when we've had success it has been via solid stingy 5x5 play and then wins the special teams battles with great/elite goaltending, in regards to goaltending I think this feels like the first year of Kielly but we had better team defense and less explosive offensive players so while that stats don't look great Haider will be a great Clarkson goaltender in my opinion. Well the PP might be decent stats wise but it was exposed against Quinnipiac, the penalty kill also is struggling with rotations leading to a lot of goals that Haider/Oldham have had no chance on while shorthanded, mostly right in tight. The defense as a whole is disappointing, McCarthy doesn't look too much different from his previous years and his motor has to be a concern for next level scouts but it's tough to look past that size and upside. McFaul and Underwood I expected big seasons from with an increased role, both have the ability to be great players but they're both struggling with the puck confidence wise and then are taking a lot of penalties, a lot of the time because they're making up from a mistake with the puck. Hurley has been solid but again, overall he was probably expected to do more here and still can, hope he stays healthy. Power has been the most steady of the freshmen and you can tell he has a lot of hockey IQ and once he improves physically he's going to increase offensive production, feels like he could be a future captain. Beck also has a lot of ability, the lack of right handed shots is interesting here but he seems to be pretty comfortable on his off side and I believe he did that a lot in junior, the way he plays snapping the puck at all times is good and he's always looking to up, as he gets stronger and more confidence making plays he should be a productive offensive player for us in my opinion, him and Power look good when they run the point on the 2nd PP, the goal against RIT was one hell of a shot. Taylor has some real ups and downs, some of his turnovers are head scratchers but he skates well and physically seems well adjusted, has shown nice glimpses carrying the puck and is a better skater then I remember from watching him with Dubuque. Pasanen I don't know if this is the quarantine period for him but he was the last cut for Germany so when he is eligible I'd really like to see him, I've heard good things and the right shot will be nice to balance the lineup out. The defense in its entirety has to advance pucks better and put our forwards in better positions.

Speaking of the forwards I love the balanced approach but have doubts with it as well. For example Tsekos was our best on the ice last night and he flat out makes his linemates better, that resulted in Cooper and Mobley producing, then Jacome scores a weak one that Petruzzelli can't let in, then Campoli finishes off a nice play from Wicks. Those were all 5x5 in a short period and if we didn't have that 5 minute stretch we might've been blown out of the arena last night. The A. Campbell - Gosselin - Callin line was so good against Mercyhurst and have had some solid games since then but we need them to produce, Alex Campbell is a special player the way he can set up teammates and the way he seamlessly glides around the ice, Callin and Gosselin do have cold/hot streaks at times but hopefully they can get back on track for these final two games. The bigger problem for me is the way Jacome - Dunne - Romano tilt the ice on teams and create a lot of good chances and work so hard but they don't have much to show from it 5x5, and those are our top guys we need them to produce plain and simple. I think the Cooper - Tsekos - Mobley is a scary 3rd line to deal with, they all work hard and know what areas they are going to be successful in, Mobley is a truck on skates from the way he finishes checks and heads straight for the front of the net while also being good on the cycle below the dots. Campoli - Wicks - Silye I sometimes feel sorry for because the ice time isn't there, I mean don't get me wrong 5x5 they get a fair run but special teams has become such a huge part of college hockey with how the officials call things, that's a very dangerous 4th line and Campoli has benefitted from it especially, the C. Campbell - Campoli - Collins line was absolutely getting worked on the cycle at points and this 4th line can take the game to the opposition.

In such a weird last while just seeing the team play is a comforting feeling. The predicament we've fallen into with this four team conference will most definitely help our future where as for the ECAC not so much, teams not playing are being picked apart in the transfer portal and the Ivies have a very strict rule regarding extra eligibility. Cornell and Harvard should recover, Yale probably will too but a bit slower then Cornell/Harvard, I think Dartmouth made a solid hire with Lovejoy so they'll probably be alright but the likes of Brown, Princeton, RPI, Union probably won't recover for awhile not that Brown ever has, RPI maybe soon because Smith seemed to have had something going before the pandemic hit but that administration will never be on his side. The likes of Colgate and SLU on the other hand look to be very promising, Brekke has changed that culture around quickly there while also doing a decent job recruiting and Colgate has some very promising young players and some solid classes coming in. The harsh reality of the college hockey landscape is we need other teams to be successful, it's not possible for every team to be a bubble team like the B1G or NCHC can but we can keep our top 10 in the top 40 of the Pairwise, that's a huge win, a tough task but it's feasible. All in all just thankful to see the team out there and hopefully the ECAC comes back stronger and better then ever.

Comment

• This team may have a lot of upside, but when you actually control the puck for less than 10 minutes in the game and get more than doubled in quality shots on goal, your team & the style of play are in trouble, and upside takes a seat. I would love to watch a practice to see if they spend the whole thing just dumping the puck out of their d zone. Awful performance tonight except for Oldham and a few capitalizations of Quinny mistakes. No possession, poor passing and far too much dumping. Maybe it was my internet feed, but we looked like sailors do after their ship has sunk...just reaching for anything to keep from drowning.

Comment

• Quinnipiac is a very well conditioned strong team, it's evident in the third Clarkson is definitely losing their legs a bit late in the games but it also has to do with an actual good hockey team has started the game very poorly and dug themselves a hole where they work their butts off to get back in the game and are probably unlucky to not have two regulation wins. The big hit Tsekos had was as clean as a whistle, it also stirred their bench up and from that point on it seemed they had 4x the chances we did. When you actually break things down though, 5x5 we are scoring goals at the highest rate we have under Casey, the PP has been terrible, if that gets going with the 4 balanced forward lines then even with average to above average goaltending and some decent defense we should be getting results. However you want to break down the lines is fine because they'll be rotating but each line currently is a somewhat offensive threat, we've never had that, Wicks has really helped out Campoli, Tsekos has really helped out Cooper and Mobley 5x5, Dunne will need to figure out a line he can anchor because he's so good below the dots and net front but we have plenty of options on the wing for him if need be.

It's been a consistent quarrel of mine for quite some time with this team, where is the progression with the puck from these defensemen? McCarthy has games where he looks like a 6 game first year out there, Underwood who had been so reliable his first two years is now leading the team in penalties and struggling with confidence offensively, Hurley who looked to be someone who can run a PP and produce offensively has not shown that in three seasons, McFaul I don't know what to think of other then I love his ability but he needs to play a more controlled game, Kaelan Taylor was handed a lot of responsibility last night, he has the skating but the decision making with the puck, basically each game there are multiple mistakes from the defensemen and or the forwards aren't dropping low enough for puck support on zone exits. It's simple things with this group, so many times the easy d to d passes are open, but more times then not they force it up the boards, or they slow it down fumble the puck or get forechecked and the pucks in our net, with our offensive strengths offensive zone puck possession should be more valued. With our strength and conditioning program there's no question these defensemen have gotten stronger and physically mature but they'll need more for the pro game. All in all I find our brand of hockey you have to work for every inch you get and try to deny any inch they can get, with this brand we have a bunch of forwards that are actually very good with limited space, it's the exact opposite for the defense I don't know if there's one guy on the D core who can more times then not make something out of not very much. I get the staff doesn't probably want them to do that and play too far outside themselves but if they continue to keep turning the puck over and over and over and we can't get set up in the other teams zone for 5-10 minute stretches then we have huge issues that aren't just going to be fixed scoring 3-4-5 5x5 goals each game.

Will say I think you go back to Haider tonight, Oldham played fine but at a certain point we need to decide what's better for the future and I think that's clearly Haider. I do want to say I don't think Oldham is bad but he's a bit unconventional with some of his athletic saves, I feel Haider is the more calming presence with good technique which is something I feel I should be saying about the experience senior, not the freshman.
                          Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 01-10-2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Really appreciate the in-depth analysis of the team dynamics. No doubt something is really off with this team, besides the power play. Definitely not looking like a top-10 team like the ranking say. The 3rd period lately has been like watching a D-1 team (them) vs. a club team (us). We're lucky the Ivies aren't around to beat us up more.
                            Just some questions ... why no post-game coach/player interviews this season? Is Clarkson blocking out the media? Also can a math major out there figure out the point system, please? Like how many points for a regulation win, win in OT, lose in OT, tie in OT, win in shootout, lose in shootout? And is this consistent with all the leagues or just an ECAC thing? Not a fan of the 3-on-3 OT, too much idle time, no back and forth action like a 4-on-4 might provide. Maybe it would be more exciting with fans present, I don't know.
                            Oh well, at least we're playing!

Comment

• Originally posted by David Techer View Post
                              Also can a math major out there figure out the point system, please? Like how many points for a regulation win, win in OT, lose in OT, tie in OT, win in shootout, lose in shootout? And is this consistent with all the leagues or just an ECAC thing?
                              Not a math major, but I think I can explain the rules. My understanding is that it’s basically the same as IIHF rules for conference standings: 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT/SO win, 1 for an OT/SO loss, and 0 for a regulation loss. Shootouts wins are separated from other wins as a tiebreaker. I believe this was a part of the new NCAA rulebook approved in the offseason.

What makes this interesting, though, is that overall record (i.e. for use in the Pairwise) is still W–L–T. Regulation and OT wins and losses go into the wins and losses columns here respectively, while shootouts are ties regardless of who wins.

Comment

• Quinny 1 CCT 0 after 1.

What the Hell was Callin thinking on the Quinny goal? Their guy sets up in front of out net and Callin just stands behind the guy not trying to clear him out and then makes a half hearted attempt to lift the guys stick. Too late. puck comes out from the corner (our guys lose the battle there) and it is redirected by the guy in front over the goalies shoulder and into the top of the net.
                                Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                                If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Working...
                                X