No announcement yet.

Clarkson Men's Hockey 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still 1-0 Quinnipiac through 2. Haider seems to be the only one doing all the work. He has made some great saves. The offense needs to help.

Comment

• Quinny 1 CCT 0 after 2

2 power plays. Zero good scoring chances on them. I will say I think we are playing better today than yesterday.
      Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
      If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• Quinny 1 CCT 0 Final

Much better game and especially the 3rd period compared to yesterday. Had some glorious chances but could not get the puck in the net.
        Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
        If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• And Quinnipiac wins. For sure the most embarrasing lose if the year. The offense was garbage, defense garbage, and Haider was the only one doing anything. The fact that Clarkson couldn't even score is just unacceptable. The problem is that Casey Jones didn't make any lineup changes after the lose yesterday. The coaches need to change these lines up, because they are not good at all. Knights drop to 7-5-1, that will hurt bad in national rankings. Next game vs SLU at Cheel on Friday night. Women's team plays tomorrow and Tuesday vs LIU at Cheel, would like to see what they can do.

Comment

• Where is the power play ? 1 for 15 on the weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
              Where is the power play ? 1 for 15 on the weekend.
              To be nice, the Powerless play is just that. To be not so nice, it S__KS.
              Vicb

Comment

• I have noticed the fourth line and D pairings are for the most part playing pretty routinely and getting more time than they typically would in normal game play. Could we be struggling because the end goal with the COVID season is to get our first years as much time as possible before next season begins? Obviously you never play to lose, but does anyone think winning is not the primary goal of this staff? I for one have no problem with that approach which should help us in the long run. However, nothing like this is being said so we will more than likely never know if this is our approach.

The PP was dismal and essentially two minutes QPac had to rest their team. No puck movement, no setup or set plays. It was abysmal all weekend. Which leads me to this (no I am not wearing a tinfoil hat). I was on Twitter the other night and saw a Tweet from Dave Smith the HC at RPI. His tweet said he was "scouting the competition" which seems to me to be a very big disadvantage for the teams currently playing. Our opponents all see what we have and what we're trying to do. They see how our first years are playing, how our power-play is being set, etc. ECAC teams are going to have 20+ games on video of our first years/PP setup where we will have zero on theirs.

Am I absolutely nuts to think we aren't showing our full hand? The PP looked this past weekend like we weren't even trying to score. Very little skill and we know we have skilled players on this team. Alex Campbell is extremely gifted offensively and yet he has barely been a factor on the PP. Seems odd to me.

Food for thought.

Comment

• It looks like we're using what's called an umbrella type of PP, 3 guys out by the blue line, 2 in closer (no man advantage there), the puck movement is supposed to be fast between the 3 outer guys, confusing the goalie I assume, get a shot off, it either goes in or a rebound or wide shot is pounced on for a rebound goal. The hockey nerds out there will know more about this than me. Anyway, it seems like the puck movement isn't fast or skillful enough, the opposing penalty killers put pressure on the 3 outer guys, someone flubs up, and you got a cleared puck or a shorthanded opportunity. Also seems like it's tough to get a puck through a wall of 4 or 5 guys, 4 or 5 sticks, and 8 or 10 legs to get a shot through to the goalie. In contrast, last year McCarthy was down low and had a ton of scoring opportunities and PP goals.

Can't believe there hasn't been more written about the 8 ECAC teams not playing this year (and not practicing either I assume), and the longer term impacts on their programs, while the rest of college hockey is playing 2-3 games per week. I don't see any advantage at all for a team not playing an entire season. Actually surprised there hasn't been more player defections from these programs.

Comment

• David Techer, Dartmouth has ice down in their barn, so I am assuming they are practicing in some capacity as it looked like it had been used. Why have ice down if it's not being used? Would be a waste of money for the College while it is experiencing budget shortfalls. I also saw their field hockey team practicing all through the Fall even though their season had been cancelled, as they practice behind the grocery store I use.
                    TCS '96, CU '00

Comment

• There would be more defections from Ivies if there was more room but really scholarships are already taken up so if you weren't a true need for a program then they aren't going to take you like to help BC win it all, St. Ivany was a huge pickup for an example and filled a huge need. A lot were young enough to go back to junior hockey but then the Canadian leagues are having problems getting going so then the USHL is truly as good as it has ever been, NAHL for that matter as well.

In regards to the PP David Techer was spot on, we are basically just playing a 3 on 2 game with the umbrella up high and the 2 are winning most every battle. Our PP numbers actually aren't the worst because we saw a bunch of average to below average teams in all reality, Quinnipiac was really good and aggressive on the kill and that's been a thing of theirs for a long time, they're always good on the PK. McCarthy is running the top of the point which IMO is a huge mistake, yes you want him to get his shots but as David Techer mentioned he's better getting lower and using that one timer on the left side of the Umbrella so he can open up for one timers, when he gets pressured he's not making good decisions with the puck, along with Tsekos and Jacome on the points because they deserve blame too, we have Dunne and Romano ready to cause havoc in front but we can't get shots through and we can't get them involved with the puck low either. Alex Campbell hasn't even gotten a sniff with the top PP unit but if they want to play as is I think it's better for him to be on PP2 and he tries to facilitate. Power I thought could be that guy right away to QB a PP for us but he's looked average at best on PP2 and whether it's Beck or Hurley with him on PP2 they haven't provided much either and looked dreadful against Q that I believe I even saw Underwood out there getting a run with Hurley to try and spark something. Either way our special teams play has to improve in order for us to deserve any consideration for the Invitational at the end of the year, unless of course we earn the ECAC Championship which is of course possible. Overall we are 5-3-2-2 against a very weak schedule in what I'm comparing to what has become Clarkson's standard scheduling even though this year it was scheduled to be a bit weaker but still better then what we've played against. The time for improvement is now and it needs to be shown on the ice, the rust generally speaking should be off and you don't need anyone to get you pumped up for Clarkson/SLU.

Haider is the way to go I'd say with mixing in Oldham again for the 2nd Quinnipiac or maybe the 3rd so you get Haider ready for the back to back style that he's going to actually be accustomed to in a normal year and back to backs are like that for the regionals in a normal year too, not sure about that this year. He's composed for a freshman and you can tell he's getting better with game experience and will probably be putting up numbers we are used to sooner rather then later.

I know the talk has been about how much more promising Colgate and SLU look and they do for sure, and that's great for the league but Clarkson and Quinnipiac are still miles ahead of where those teams are in terms of ceilings. With that said Clarkson and Quinnipiac both have had some injury struggles early on and are still trying to gel with generally speaking young teams that are still trying to figure things out. If Pertuzzelli played well all weekend you could argue Quinnipiac deserved to sweep us, if Clarkson was even above average on special teams you could make a case for them sweeping. Colgate and SLU are more structured and can take on more pressure but those teams aren't actually pressuring us much unless that Young line is on for Colgate, now if we can't take care of SLU this weekend I'll be worried with things because despite Brekke doing an unbelievable job his first two years given all the circumstances, Zetterquist looks like a new goalie but the overall talent gap is way too much for us to not at least get 5 points out of the weekend.
                      Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 01-12-2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Since most of us are probably engineers, and we tend to like numbers, here are the special teams stats.

For conference games (the last 5 games), Clarkson PP is 3/22, 13.6%. Opponent PP is 3/20, 15.0%. PK is just 1 minus those numbers, so our PK is 85.0% and opponent PK is 86.4%.

Overall (13 games), Clarkson PP is 10/49, 20.4%. Opponent PP is 10/48, 20.8%. Clarkson PK is 79.2%, opponent PK is 79.6%.

Compare to last season, 2019-2020, 22 league games, Clarkson PP was 23.5%, opponent PP was 10.6%. Overall, 34 games, Clarkson PP was 22.8%, opponent PP was 9.7%. Of course that was with a goalie with .940 saves % and 1.63 GGA stats, who I think just signed a pro contract, congrats Frank.

Comment

• Marrotte is with the Allen team in the ECHL

Comment

• 9:59 to go in the 2nd, Clarkson 1 SLU 0

Dunne goes backdoor from Callin, bounced off of Zetterquist, and in.

Comment

• ZIP on the PP 0 for 5 Now 1 for the last 20 Dunne 13 of 17 on face offs

Comment

• SLU ties it on the PP. 1-1 in the 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X