Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarkson Men's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don’t think it’s fair to say Casey should lose his job, but the way this team has performed relative to expectations is frankly shocking, I do believe a different direction would be good for the program in the long term though. It’d hurt with losing promising commitments and current team members but they aren’t progressing under Casey, I truly feel it’d be best, albeit not even close to fair.

    Comment


    • Still a pathetic 3rd period but falls 3-2. I hate to say it but i dont think Haider should get the start tomorrow. I don't think he's a terrible goaltender, but I feel like they should try something different. I also hate to say but they need to atleast win the ECAC to get even close to the tournament. A 2-6 start is embarrassing for this team, when we can't even beat teams like Union.
      Last edited by LetsGoTech16; 11-04-2022, 08:34 PM.

      Comment


      • Is there a fund raising job available for him?
        this is the third year in a row the team has underperformed
        either on or off the ice. And I don’t think the coaching
        turnover looks great either.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Knighttime View Post
          Is there a fund raising job available for him?
          this is the third year in a row the team has underperformed
          either on or off the ice. And I don’t think the coaching
          turnover looks great either.
          If the coaches were turning over to go other places for similar or lesser positions, I'd agree with you. However, two of them have gone on to be head coaches at the same level. In theory, this should be more of a loss to recruiting than in-game management as (unlike some other coaches), Casey runs the ship in-game.

          The problem is, and has been all along, Casey. There's a reason that after years of successful programs at Clarkson, he hasn't had a sniff at an HEA or NCHC job. His style works for a certain type of player and, oddly enough, our recruiting isn't focusing on getting him the types of players for his system.

          Tonight's game was just disgusting. The final stats may say that Clarkson outshot UC and someone even said they "outchanced" them. The truth is that the Clarkson offense has no direction whatsoever. Yes, shots were getting through to the goaltender, but they were almost always unscreened shots from above the circles. Even on the power play, they can't create anything below the dots. It's simply cycle until eventually Beck gets bored and lets off a shot with no bodies in front as screens or to get the rebounds. And God forbid the offense ever takes a chance with a skilled line out there. A developing 3 on 2 with your top line ... nope, call them back because 40 seconds is too long to be on the ice.

          I'm sure Casey is a great teacher of other coaches; it's shown in the coaching tree that he's grown while at CCT. However, he's always limited his own teams and seeing the successes that his former assistants have gone onto, it's pretty clear that the problem is in the top seat. If they lose to RPI tomorrow, he should be gone before Election Day.

          Comment


          • Folks, what the hell is going on? The Dutchmen are NOT a good team this year. Our fans are hoping that we can at least win eight so that this team will not be the worse in the past 20 years. I had picked us to lose. Something is not right. We were outscored by UMass 14-1 in two matches. The league needs a strong Clarkson to knock off some non-conference opponents. I think the USCHO picked you to win it all this year. Here is hoping you get it together.

            Comment


            • I sat in sed 19A with a great view of the Union Goalie for periods 1 and 3. Tech hit the crossbar and left post and one missed the crossbar high by less than an inch.

              I saw the Union players collapse in front of the goalie when Tech started putting on pressure to block shots or disrupt the play. What I did not like was the lack of sped vs Union when Tech had a chance to go one on one only to lose the foot race to the goal multiple times

              The penalty that disallowed the goal was a turning point,

              I agree that the Tech should have sent Casey to Union and made Hague head coach.

              Comment


              • Thru 8 games Clarkson is worse than our opponents in pretty much all categories except for faceoffs, not to mention 3 major penalties and 1 game misconduct vs. none for opponents.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dano View Post

                  If the coaches were turning over to go other places for similar or lesser positions, I'd agree with you. However, two of them have gone on to be head coaches at the same level. In theory, this should be more of a loss to recruiting than in-game management as (unlike some other coaches), Casey runs the ship in-game.

                  The problem is, and has been all along, Casey. There's a reason that after years of successful programs at Clarkson, he hasn't had a sniff at an HEA or NCHC job. His style works for a certain type of player and, oddly enough, our recruiting isn't focusing on getting him the types of players for his system.

                  Tonight's game was just disgusting. The final stats may say that Clarkson outshot UC and someone even said they "outchanced" them. The truth is that the Clarkson offense has no direction whatsoever. Yes, shots were getting through to the goaltender, but they were almost always unscreened shots from above the circles. Even on the power play, they can't create anything below the dots. It's simply cycle until eventually Beck gets bored and lets off a shot with no bodies in front as screens or to get the rebounds. And God forbid the offense ever takes a chance with a skilled line out there. A developing 3 on 2 with your top line ... nope, call them back because 40 seconds is too long to be on the ice.

                  I'm sure Casey is a great teacher of other coaches; it's shown in the coaching tree that he's grown while at CCT. However, he's always limited his own teams and seeing the successes that his former assistants have gone onto, it's pretty clear that the problem is in the top seat. If they lose to RPI tomorrow, he should be gone before Election Day.
                  Unfortunately you hit it in the first paragraph. I would argue
                  that they left because unlike most successful coaches Jones did not let them run the offense/defense they wanted, did not let them decide personnel for special teams and incessantly
                  made them bench players in game that they frequently
                  disagreed with. His negative coaching style is outdated and it’s obvious kids and coaches alike have had enough.

                  Comment


                  • Another rough period of hockey as it's 0-0 through 1.

                    Comment


                    • Schmidt-Svejstrup gets Clarkson on the board, 1-0 Knights after 2. Much better period.

                      Comment


                      • Best 3rd period all season, Clarkson beats RPI 3-0. Schmidt-Svejstrup with 2 goals, & Bargholtz with his 1st college goal. Clarkson kept the pressure all 3rd period, & it looks like they've finally gained confidence. One guy that suprised me was Grannis. Had a very good first 2 periods, and played a lot in the 3rd. Haider with a 15 save shutout. Big weekend next weekend with Colgate & Cornell in Potsdam.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Knighttime View Post
                          Unfortunately you hit it in the first paragraph. I would argue
                          that they left because unlike most successful coaches Jones did not let them run the offense/defense they wanted, did not let them decide personnel for special teams and incessantly
                          made them bench players in game that they frequently
                          disagreed with. His negative coaching style is outdated and it’s obvious kids and coaches alike have had enough.
                          Nah. There are 62 D1 head coaching jobs. You get the chance to take one and you take it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by NCNYHockey9 View Post

                            Nah. There are 62 D1 head coaching jobs. You get the chance to take one and you take it.
                            Exactly. I don't think Casey's ACs are leaving because they don't like the Clarkson program. They're leaving because they're being offered promotions and good ones at that. They aren't moving to HC positions in lower conferences or major juniors, they're staying in a top 4 conference with a better job or moving laterally.

                            There is some part of the Clarkson program that is deemed valuable in the ranks of those who make coaching decisions. I'm honestly not sure what it is. Casey is a micromanager in games. It was interesting to watch the Union bench during the timeouts and stoppages to see how differently Casey and Hauge manage their respective teams. Hauge places a good deal of responsibility on his assistants, which I think is probably due to the failure's he saw in Casey's system.

                            Comment


                            • I didn't stay home last night to watch the game, figuring I'd be disappointed, but I did watch it this morning. The team still has no offensive plan and they don't pass with any effort to gain an advantage. The only good thing I did see was that in the third period, they didn't adopt the old Casey mantra of playing not to lose. They were aggressive in the third, if not successful in scoring.

                              Comment


                              • Casey Jones will not be fired. Coaching changes are typically initiated by the Athletic Director. Division 3 Athletic Directors aren’t going to fire Division 1 hockey coaches unless the directive comes from the President. Alumni pressure and $$ which typically is the impetus for both the AD and President to do something isn’t there at a school like Clarkson. Casey will be the head coach until he retires or gets hired at another school. Getting hired at another school would have happened by now if it was going to happen. Casey is 54. We are looking at another 10+- years like it or not. What we have seen since Casey took over will be what we see from here on out. Some good years and some bad like this year.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X